PC "Double Booting"

Propheciah

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
I have a Gigabyte 970A-D3P motherboard, and when I unlock the multiplier on my FX 8320 and bump it up to 3.8 GHz or higher (I did not manipulate the FSB) I run into a rebooting problem (whether cold booting or restarting). My PC will turn on, then shut off after 3 seconds, and then after a pause it will boot again. Reverting the OC settings fixed the problem. I didn't touch voltages on CPU nor clock and voltages on any other component. Is this normal behavior? Is my motherboard taking time to apply clock settings or fix something wrong with BIOS? Will it harm components?

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Your motherboard is "double booting" because you have improper overclocking settings.

Revert everything to stock settings and don't even think about overclocking unless you have a decent aftermarket cooler installed. Then read two or three overclocking guides for your CPU and take it slow. Overclocking these days is pretty easy, and components have some fail-safes built in, but it still takes time (at least a full afternoon) to stability test and monitor temperatures.

Propheciah

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
My cooler is a Hpyer 212 EVO, that should be good enough to get from 3.5 to 4.0, right? Do I need to increase voltages then?

Edit: I forgot to mention that my overclock still stays applied after I boot into Windows and runs completely stable. I just have the boot issue.