Pc efficiency decline

George_199

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
First of all Im not sure if I'm writing in the wrong section so sorry about that ...
I have a desktop which consists of the following : i5-6100 , RX 460 , Corsair 550 PSU and a seagate barracuda HDD .. For the first three months it worked perfectly fine but recently it has started being sluggin not only in games for example I play csgo with 300 fps now with 40 fps but also in the browser,apps and the computer as a whole became extremely slow compared to what it was before if you could tell me whats wrong and some possible fixes I would be very grateful. Thanks for your time

Solution
Do these steps and you should see an improvement:

Upon resetting your PC, before opening up any applications.
Open the Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) // (or type 'Tasmgr' in the windows search bar)
Go to the Process tab and monitor your CPU usage, is it constantly fluctuating between 10%-50% or higher?

Most likely you have too many applications running in the background, possibly even spam/adware and other stuff 'clogging up' your PC and 'hogging' your CPU.

First step is type 'Msconfig' in the windows search bar & press ENTER, a little window witll appear with several tabs.
Check out Startup/Boot/Services.

Under either Startup or Boot, disable any & all applications you do not want to load when your PC starts up.

Secondly go to the...

Niruvius

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
First of all i5 6100 does not exist there is i3 6100.

There is chance your sudden drop in fps comes from having played game on low graphic settings and changing settings from low to max tend to do that kind of things.

Pc can slow down for many reason so lets name a few.
Malicious software is the most comon reason try instaligh avast and do one full scan.
Many programs that run on start up for example: steam, plays.tv antiviruses... They do use your pc resources and do slow down pc.
If o were you i would do clean windows 10 instal and see what happens.

Hope this help writing this from a phone so its a bit mesy

George_199

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017

Yeah you are right about the CPU one its actually i3 not i5
I run my antivirus and found no malicious software I also dont have anything that runs on startup except from discord . Could it be beacuse I havent cleaned it at all since I bought it?

caqde

Distinguished

Dusting the inside of the computer with a can of air from time to time is a must especially in the home of people with pets or smokers. The dust will build up and cause the cpu and/or gpu to throttle which will cause severe drops in framerates in your games. You can check for this issue by watching your cpu and gpu temps and clockspeeds using programs like hardware monitor.

Niruvius

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
You mean on software like ccleaner no it will not significantly improve speed maybe few% if that and if you mean undust your pc it wont effect performance at all maybe only temps

JCLDJB

Commendable
May 24, 2016
Do these steps and you should see an improvement:

Upon resetting your PC, before opening up any applications.
Open the Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) // (or type 'Tasmgr' in the windows search bar)
Go to the Process tab and monitor your CPU usage, is it constantly fluctuating between 10%-50% or higher?

Most likely you have too many applications running in the background, possibly even spam/adware and other stuff 'clogging up' your PC and 'hogging' your CPU.

First step is type 'Msconfig' in the windows search bar & press ENTER, a little window witll appear with several tabs.
Check out Startup/Boot/Services.

Under either Startup or Boot, disable any & all applications you do not want to load when your PC starts up.

Secondly go to the Services TAB & make sure the 'Hide all Microsoft Services' box is checked.
Now you should see a list of 'Services' with a column for (Running) or (Stopped) - the serviced which are 'Running' are what's taking up your CPU usage.
Disable things like (Dropbox Update Services) or any other 'Service' you do not want to run/are not likely to use on a regular basis.

Reset PC & you should see the results INSTANTLY.

Bear in mind doing this, you will have to tick back the box for the application & reset your PC, if there is a particular service/application you want to load but have disabled (or else all you'll get is an error messsage like "application error|could not load application".

Finally, install an Antivirus like AVG FREE version.
The reason why I recommend (highly) AVG against Norton or McAfee is because AVG is a lot lighter than other Anti-Virus software.

The next step is to temporarily install (keep it if you want, but disable it in the Services as this running in the background takes a lot of CPU resources)
*MALWAREBYTES
Do 1 full system scan and remove all 'infected files', then delete or disable the service VIA MsConfig.

Once you've done all these steps come back & let us know how you got on.

Ah, one more point! How much RAM do you actually have?
I hope you have a minimum of 4-8Gb (8Gb minimum being ideal).

Worth checking you got the latest drivers, could be that CsGO latest updates or your RX460 latest driver updates conflict with the game/GPU?

Another point worthy to note is that browsers like Chrome or Firefox take up a lot of RAM/system resources.

Try going lite by considering Opera Neon, very simple/light browser, compared to most.

EDIT: obviously opening up the PC and checking for dust is a good idea, but if it's only bee 3 months, it shouldn't be that bad - still, a worthy point to mention. :)

Solution

George_199

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
Regarding my RAM I got 8 GB I'll try everything you said and update my post after I'm done telling you the results thanks for the help (It does not only happen only on CsGo but also on games like PUBG and Overwatch)

UPDATE: Your first solution tottaly worked and everything is back to usual I will also download the app you suggested me as it might come in handy thanks a lot for your time :) !