PC emmiting an odd burning plastic smell

Dec 24, 2017
My PC is emitting an odd burning plastic smell. I left my pc running overnight to do a virus scan and started smelling after 12 hours and hasn't stopped even after being unplugged. The cpu and gpu temps look normal. The capasitors look fine although I just did a quick check. It is able to boot up completly fine although I haven't left it running for long. However I haven't changed out my coolant in a while. I use mayhems pastel. There is no massive ammounts of dust that I can see other than on the filters I have. Could it be the coolant because that's what I'm thinking? Or is it something else entirely?

Edit: Defantly not the psu. It's coming from the mobo area. I really can't tell after that. It is so strong if I try to smell it for too long I get a headache and I start to feel dizzy. The smell is still lingering in my room even though I heavily ventalated it and have removed the computer.

Solution
Sounds like it's time for a tear down so you can isolate the smell. Take out one part at a time move it to another room and then look for burnt contacts/pins/connectors and see if the smell is coming from that component. If you leave everything in the same spot aka the case the smell stays in one place and is hard to isolate. Like the previous comment said the first place I'd start is the PSU.

Insomniac Jack

Respectable
Mar 22, 2016
Sounds like it's time for a tear down so you can isolate the smell. Take out one part at a time move it to another room and then look for burnt contacts/pins/connectors and see if the smell is coming from that component. If you leave everything in the same spot aka the case the smell stays in one place and is hard to isolate. Like the previous comment said the first place I'd start is the PSU.

Solution