PC Failing, Temperature Spikes, Clicking sounds.

killie154

Prominent
May 12, 2017
So there is a lot to unpack here.
So my computer is going insane, and has been for some time.
I have been having a lot of crazy temperatures spikes, and my cpu cores are always running at max.
Recently, they started to die down and I then I would play someone league of legends for about 4-5 games and then it would shut down.
But it is random, it will play perfectly with no problem and just the screen would turn black.
Then the next time, the entire computer shuts off.
Or sometimes the computer just shuts off.
I swapped out the motherboard, the psu, and the cpu.
I changed the cooler, etc etc etc etc.

Now recently, I have been hearing this very loud clicking sound.
It isn't coming from my hard drive or my ssd.
Or from my PSU.
Because the pieces are closer together, I can only guess it is from my cpu or something I can't see behind my motherboard.
I will upload a video of it.

My computer specs:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NWXKVY
It has a different case and the cooler is a Captain 240 EX AIO Water cooler.

Video of the clicking sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wFdMx5ggV4
If you can't hear it, I will try again.

I checked for malware, rootkits, viruses, etc.

Solution
Sounds like electrical arcing...Or is that just me?
First unplug everything apart from the keyboard/mouse and see what happens.
No change?
The system has a APU, so remove the graphics card and use the onboard video (motherboard) and see what happens. You shouldn't need to install drivers for this, the basic Windows driver set will give enough of a display for this kind of troubleshooting.
No change yet?
Disconnect the HDD, I'll assume the SSD is boot drive.
Still no go?
Try running with one memory stick at a time.
Next try:
With the system off and the PSU plug removed remove and examine every power connector, with a magnifying glass, look for any signs of charring, burning or discolouration of the plastic plug and the socket it fits...
Sounds like electrical arcing...Or is that just me?
First unplug everything apart from the keyboard/mouse and see what happens.
No change?
The system has a APU, so remove the graphics card and use the onboard video (motherboard) and see what happens. You shouldn't need to install drivers for this, the basic Windows driver set will give enough of a display for this kind of troubleshooting.
No change yet?
Disconnect the HDD, I'll assume the SSD is boot drive.
Still no go?
Try running with one memory stick at a time.
Next try:
With the system off and the PSU plug removed remove and examine every power connector, with a magnifying glass, look for any signs of charring, burning or discolouration of the plastic plug and the socket it fits into, also the connecting pins, they should all be clean and bright.
How did you mount the motherboard? I've heard that some cases with standoffs that are pressed into the motherboard tray (raised dimples in the metal) can cause shorts.
What thermal paste are you using? some (like the Arctic Silver ones) are electrically conductive, too much could also be causing a sporadic arcing.
Or I could be barking up the wrong tree...

Solution

killie154

Prominent
May 12, 2017
Would the arcing causes all the problems mentioned previously?
The cpu temperature spikes, the crashing, etc.

Also, before my computer wouldn't boot with all the ram sticks in so I had to remove them one by one to see which was the problem and now all four work.

But I will try what you have posted and see if it helps

TRENDING THREADS