Question PC fan speed help

C855D

Honorable
Aug 1, 2014
Recently built a PC for my parents out of my spare parts and hand-me-downs from my current rig. The CPU is cooled by a water pump, to get that out of the way. The case fans are my question. I’m using ASUS UEFI fan controller as well as AI Suite 3, but the OS seems to take over fan control when booted up. The issue is that the fans run silent when configured in BIOS and before the OS is booted. Once I get into Windows 10, the fans start running well over 1000 rpm when they should be at 400 and silent. The issue is not the load on the components because the PC is running at 30 degrees centigrade when the fans are on full. The PC is mostly used for web design using Google Chrome. I don’t know if this is a Chrome thing that is increasing the fans or maybe a motherboard issue from having too many swaps from the past? Some suggestions would be welcome.

are the fans are plugged into the CPU fan header and the pump is in the sysfan header?

if the case fans are 3-pin then make sure you have them set as DC controlled?

Recently built a PC for my parents out of my spare parts and hand-me-downs from my current rig. The CPU is cooled by a water pump, to get that out of the way. The case fans are my question. I’m using ASUS UEFI fan controller as well as AI Suite 3, but the OS seems to take over fan control when booted up. The issue is that the fans run silent when configured in BIOS and before the OS is booted. Once I get into Windows 10, the fans start running well over 1000 rpm when they should be at 400 and silent. The issue is not the load on the components because the PC is running at 30 degrees centigrade when the fans are on full. The PC is mostly used for web design using Google Chrome. I don’t know if this is a Chrome thing that is increasing the fans or maybe a motherboard issue from having too many swaps from the past? Some suggestions would be welcome.

C855D

Honorable
Aug 1, 2014
are the fans are plugged into the CPU fan header and the pump is in the sysfan header?

if the case fans are 3-pin then make sure you have them set as DC controlled?
Sorry I should have been more specific about my fan setup. There are 3 fans total: 1 in the back for the radiator that is plugged into the motherboard case fan port (the cpu pump is plugged into the cpu fan header, running on full all the time) 2 fans on the front that are plugged into the other two motherboard case fan headers. All these fans are 3 pin fans set to DC controlled in BIOS. I use the fan utility in BIOS and the fans run quiet and fine for the first few days, then it starts running fast again.

definitely suggest you swap the radiator fan to the cpu fan header (set that to DC) and plug the pump to a sysfan header - might be confusing the algorithm for quiet mode

Sorry I should have been more specific about my fan setup. There are 3 fans total: 1 in the back for the radiator that is plugged into the motherboard case fan port (the cpu pump is plugged into the cpu fan header, running on full all the time) 2 fans on the front that are plugged into the other two motherboard case fan headers. All these fans are 3 pin fans set to DC controlled in BIOS. I use the fan utility in BIOS and the fans run quiet and fine for the first few days, then it starts running fast again.