PC Freeze and/or BSOD when case slightly bumped (RAM wiggled)

berny22

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2012
So I was just finished installing my new AIO cooler and I did a test run before doing cable management and connecting RGB.. it was all working fine.. after connecting the RGB and doing the cables I put everything together and tried turning on my PC.. it was boot looping.. like very fast.. it would stay turned on for like 1 or 2 seconds.. not the usual 3-5 seconds I had before.. I shit my pants.. I disconnected absolutely everything but the m.2 ssd, cpu and RAM.. the pc booted normally.. I put everything back in (HDD, GPU, SSD etc.) and the pc booted normally. I thought all my problems were done... I re did the cable management put one of the side panels back on, turned on my pc again.. everything working fine.. last step.. put the last side panel on (the one that gives you access to the mbo) do a little bump to slide the side panel all the way in, pc freezes.. wtf? ok so my pc just frooze when I bumped.. did I break something? Ok, lets try again.. restart the pc.. bump it gently a few times.. it freezes.. troubleshooting time... i wiggle every cable (SATA, gpu & cpu power, cpu pump, fan connectors, usb, etc.), every part (GPU, CPU, m.2 ssd) nothing causes the freeze.. I give it a gentle bump it goes to hell.. Again I disconnect all the devices and retry it, the pc still freezes.. now I tried softly touching the RAM sticks, and there you go.. it freezes instantly as soon as I slightly move the RAM while it is in the slot.

ok so I tried putting each stick in each slot (all the possible combinations) but the freeze still occures, and yes I obviously reseated the RAM a hundred times and there is no gaps and the ram slides in perfectly and it clicks when I seat it..

So what is going on? Did I break my RAM slots are they lose or something?

I'm currently typing this on the PC that is running completely normal on low temps.. I can play games and whatever, but as soon as I bump my pc (the RAM) my PC freezes... and sometimes I get BSOD with random messages.. once it was just STOP 0x00000101, one time it was IRQL GT ZERO...

Solution
Touching anything internal with your bare hands while your pc is running is a big no. If you suspect shorting from the ram, remove the stick(assuming you have at least 2) You could also check your psu cable to see if it's plugged in correctly, or it wiggles.

Gyustarr

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2014
Touching anything internal with your bare hands while your pc is running is a big no. If you suspect shorting from the ram, remove the stick(assuming you have at least 2) You could also check your psu cable to see if it's plugged in correctly, or it wiggles.

Solution