Question Pc freezes and crashes after thermal paste change

May 24, 2024
As the title says my pc started freezing after i cleaned old dried up thermal paste, and applied a new coat. Granted the thermal "paste" is thermal Grease and is 7-8 years old, my question is, what causes the pc to freeze?, i can boot up windows get in, and in like 2 mins the pc freezes and crashes, the usage in task manager are incredibly low 0-1 procent, and in bios the temprature is around 43-50 celcius. Could i have damaged anything while applying new thermals?, what can i do?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Granted the thermal "paste" is thermal Grease and is 7-8 years old
You might want to be specific, what is this thermal grease you speak of? Given that there are a number of devices that can benefit from a thermal paste change, what did you replace the thermal paste on...? The GPU or CPU?

You might want to pass on pics to your build with the cooer disassembled to help us understand the spread of your thermal paste.

Check to see if your cooler was mounted the right way after you replaced your thermal paste.

in like 2 mins the pc freezes and crashes
You mean it restarts?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Can you remain in BIOS without an issue?

May 24, 2024
Hi thanks for the speedy reply, and i apologize for not listing the essentials,

Specs are
CPU: i5-11400F (2.60 ghz)
CPU COOLER: box cooler that came with i5
Motherboard: msi b650 pro-e (bios version 2023/7/1)
Ram : Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4-3200MHz-16gb - dual sticks (8gb each)
SSD: samsung 970 evoplus nvme m2 1TB
GPU: Saphire pulse Radeon Rx 6600 8gb
PSU: EVGA 600 GD (7 months old)
Chassis: Zalman z1 iceberg

No the pc actually freezes, and then says windows ran into an error and restarts
and in bios everything runs good, doesnt crash nor freeze and tempratures are 40-50 CPU

20240524_102250.jpg
20240524_102053.jpg
20240524_102248.jpg
20240524_102010.jpg