Question PC freezes and I can’t force shutdown my computer

Sepywishes

Reputable
Mar 19, 2017
PC specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FQDZhy

In a previous post of mine I discovered that I didn’t install on of the ram sticks correctly and fixed that issue. However, I am now experiencing an even greater issue which is that my computer now randomly freezes. While frozen it won’t receive any input from the mouse or keyboard and I can’t force shutdown it down the traditional way by clicking and holding the power button on the front of the computer. I can only turn it off by flipping the off switch on the back of the power unit.

This has happened twice since this morning. The first probably happened sometime last night and I noticed that air being blown from the back of the computer tower was cold.

What is going on here and what I can I do to fix it?

What's happened thus far:
  1. I updated Windows and the BIOS of the motherboard.
  2. Started shutting down my computer every night.
  3. Upgraded to Windows 11.

The problem seems to have been resolved but I still could not figure out why it happened or how it stopped. Whether it was fixed by itself or if it was something I did is a mystery.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Computer history? Heavy gaming use, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the times that the system froze.

Reliability History presents a timeline format so anything that happened "last night" may stand out and be immediately noticeable.

Growing numbers of errors and varying errors may be due to a faltering PSU.

Also could be likely that a forced shutdown somewhere early on corrupted some files.

Try running the Windows built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.,

Also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

= = = =

Next, if the problem continues then power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Sepywishes

Reputable
Mar 19, 2017
Computer history? Heavy gaming use, video editing, or even bit-mining?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the times that the system froze.

Reliability History presents a timeline format so anything that happened "last night" may stand out and be immediately noticeable.

Growing numbers of errors and varying errors may be due to a faltering PSU.

Also could be likely that a forced shutdown somewhere early on corrupted some files.

Try running the Windows built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.,

Also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Fix Windows Update errors via DISM or System Update Readiness tool - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

= = = =

Next, if the problem continues then power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.
I believe the issue lies with the RAM because the problem only started a day after I initially fixed the RAM stick so my computer actually detects it.

Recently what I’ve done was update Windows and BIOS and I haven’t seen the issue since but I would like to wait a bit further before claiming the issue is solved when I’m not sure it is.

As for your questions, no I haven’t used my computer for anything heavy like what you said. I also used the sfc/scannow and dism and found no issues.