[SOLVED] PC freezes, cant even complete bootup

Jan 7, 2019
Couple of days ago my computer froze up, and since then no matter what I try, I cannot get it to boot up.

Conponents:
Asus mobo m5a99fx pro r2.0
8 core AMD processor
4x corsair 8mb vengeance RAM
Strip nvidia gtx970 video
Evga 850w psu
2 tb hdd, 2 partitions

I have tried:
Disconnect all and reconnect
6 combinations of only 2 sticks of RAM (12, 13, 14, 23, 24, 34), including using different channels to connect
Using system restore
Running chkdsk
Startup repair
Copying files (to prevent losing them) using the command prompt
All 4 of those from a USB boot drive

My bios does not seem to have a way to disable cpu cores, so cannot check if a single core is an issue - and obviously cant check anything with the cpu removed :p

Basically every option either cannot be completed (startup repair doesnt work), or the computer freezes during the process (chkdsk, system restore, copying files).

I'm at my wits end for fixing this issue, and would love any insight on this problem.

Solution

This is the reason why i said that start with the motherboard. Usual freezing problems are mostly motherboard problems..

Then In order get better idea about the OS, as Countmike mentioned you should try to boot a Linux live image see whether it’s happening so on.

Jan 7, 2019
Have now tried booting with a different video card, different hard drive (tried to install windows fresh onto it), and different RAM.
All 3 done individually. Only components not swapped are power supply, motherboard, and processor.

Mainly need tips for diagnosing if the problem is the processor, since looks like I need to replace it or the motherboard at this point.

And for clarification on the hdd, the windows install attempt did not even reach installing windows. It froze up when I tried to delete a partition on the drive (again, not same drive I have in this pc).

So I'm pretty darn sure it isnt a windows issue here.

OK then it only one step to make…. Which is nothing but your motherboard. So it possible to find another one?
I believe those AM3/AM3+ boards still available. It is also better if you can borrow a one instead of buying.

Jan 7, 2019
The issue nirmith is that "see if the motherboard is the problem" has "buy a new motherboard" as step 1.
At which point it's rather moot to consider fixing my old one except to resell.

If the only testing method is a new product, than I'm at the point where replacement is already the solution, not a diagnostic step.

Whenever when we end up like this we can’t exactly reach a solution without swapping couple of parts here and there to identify the problem. It can be physically or a kind or software problem as well whatsoever if you wish to seek an answer without actually trying to change things… I don’t know how hard it can be. What we can do here is nothing but answering to your questions according to your feedback simply means we can’t even take a look at your hardware. So what I wanted to ask you is, if can proceed in a way that I’ve convey, then it will be easier to fix and even the cost will be low to fix as you not swapping the whole thing with new ones.

Jan 7, 2019
Norcalsc, if you read the entire thread, you would see that the issue persisted with a USB boot drive (freshly made) and alternate hard drive. Even with these, it froze when running chkdsk on the alternate hard drive, as well as during a windows install.

Problem is/was mist definitely not related to the hdd or operating system.

Nirmith, finally got my hands on a replacement cou and motherboard (old stuff, but still socket am3+). Been sidetracked by life, but will be doing testing here. Just stuck on (ha ha) getting the cpu and heat sink apart, since I did what looks to be a perfect job getting them together.

So far it sounds like a blow dryer to heat it up is the best trick to loosen it? First time in over 20 years working on my own machines that I needed to do this. Usually I upgrade the whole thing before either of them have issues.

Jan 7, 2019
Added a step before separating mobo/cpu combos... just swapped all my hardware to the "tester" mobo+cpu, and PC boots and runs just fine.
So thanks a lot nirmith. Still need to nail the issue down to the mobo 100% and look at a real replacement, but you were spot on with answers so far. Thanks.