[SOLVED] PC freezes during reboot but boots normally after shutdown

Sep 4, 2021
PC freezes during reboot but boots normally after shutdown

PC hardware is about 5 years old, last week suddenly started acting up, especially during reboot and waking from sleep:

Freezes, seemingly at random.

Becomes unresponsive (black screen, keyboard and mouse LEDs light up but HDD LED doesn't blink) whenever waking from sleep, and sometimes when waking from hibernate as well.

Usually boots normally after shutdown or after disconnecting power.

Sometimes doesn't boot at all (no POST, peripheral LEDs don't light up). At this stage if I disconnect all peripherals then it usually boots normally again, though not consistently.

Always freezes during Windows loading screen after reboot (spinning circle just stops).

Tried reinstalling Windows but problems persist - leads me to think it's a hardware problem.

Tried disconnecting HDD before boot, switching between RAM sticks, safe mode, disabling fast boot, restoring BIOS defaults - nothing seems to make a difference.

Looking through system error logs and reliability logs doesn't show anything useful other than ''unexpected shutdown''.

Could it be fault in motherboard or maybe power supply?

I'd like to replace parts as needed but not sure how to diagnose which are faulty - would appreciate any thoughts or ideas. Thanks!

Specs:
Intel Core i5-6400 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Kingston FURY 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL15 Memory
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
SanDisk SSD PLUS 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Antec High Current Gamer 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you get into BISO for your motherboard and remain there indefinitely? While here, please take a look at the BISO version for your motherboard. If you don't experience any lockups in BIOS, then proceed to boot to OS. On that topic, what OS are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, include the version(not the edition) of the OS. If you can get into your OS GUI, use Sandisk's Dashboard app to see if your SSD is pending any firmware updates.

Throwing money at a problem doesn't always solve it. I'd advise on sourcing a donor PSU from a friend or neighbor who owns a reliably built PSU with at least 450W of power for the entire system(provided you didn't forget to mention your discrete GPU's...

Lutfij

Titan

Can you get into BISO for your motherboard and remain there indefinitely? While here, please take a look at the BISO version for your motherboard. If you don't experience any lockups in BIOS, then proceed to boot to OS. On that topic, what OS are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, include the version(not the edition) of the OS. If you can get into your OS GUI, use Sandisk's Dashboard app to see if your SSD is pending any firmware updates.

Throwing money at a problem doesn't always solve it. I'd advise on sourcing a donor PSU from a friend or neighbor who owns a reliably built PSU with at least 450W of power for the entire system(provided you didn't forget to mention your discrete GPU's make and model) and see if you're able to reboot without a hiccup.

Solution
Sep 4, 2021

Throwing money at a problem doesn't always solve it. I'd advise on sourcing a donor PSU from a friend or neighbor who owns a reliably built PSU with at least 450W of power for the entire system(provided you didn't forget to mention your discrete GPU's make and model) and see if you're able to reboot without a hiccup.

Hi!

BIOS version is .3805
OS is Windows 10 Pro, version 19043.1165
Sandisk Dashboard says firmware is up to date.

I can get into BIOS and stay there for a while (haven't tried staying there for more than a few minutes).

About an hour ago I ran into a freeze at beginning of boot for the first time (stuck on the Asus logo).

In general, I'm getting very inconsistent results - PC sometimes boots normally, sometimes gets stuck at Windows logo, sometimes doesn't boot at all (and then if I disconnect all peripherals it usually gets at least to Windows logo).

Unfortunately don't have a spare PSU or one I can borrow at the moment - are the problems I described usually indicative of a PSU fault?

Thanks!

sdmf1974

Distinguished
May 15, 2013
Hi!

BIOS version is .3805
OS is Windows 10 Pro, version 19043.1165
Sandisk Dashboard says firmware is up to date.

I can get into BIOS and stay there for a while (haven't tried staying there for more than a few minutes).

About an hour ago I ran into a freeze at beginning of boot for the first time (stuck on the Asus logo).

In general, I'm getting very inconsistent results - PC sometimes boots normally, sometimes gets stuck at Windows logo, sometimes doesn't boot at all (and then if I disconnect all peripherals it usually gets at least to Windows logo).

Unfortunately don't have a spare PSU or one I can borrow at the moment - are the problems I described usually indicative of a PSU fault?

Thanks!

Your problems sound somewhat similar to the problems I have been experiencing for like the past 3 days or so. I have pretty much all new parts and/or dont suspect a hardware issue but rather a software problem. Although we are running different versions of windows (mine is up to date v19043,1202) I suspect a recent "optional" windows update as the issue KB5005101, problem is windows wont let me uninstall the optional update so I can test my theory. Im considering trying a restore point but first I have other suspicions.

Asus Armory Crate ( a horrendous pos pile of bloat) just recently had an update as well. As did Razer synapse! That'll teach me to update more than one program at a time!
See if you are running any of these programs and had a recent update before you go and buy a new mobo or PSU etc. and let me know

Oh my issues: My PC is having black screens on my monitors followed by an automatic reboot a few seconds after I restart my PC. Sometimes my mouse freezes just after boot forcing me to have to restart. PC was running great a few days ago, so far google has been no help