[SOLVED] PC freezes during startup after PSU cable was accidentally unplugged ? WHEA error

Williamep4

Honorable
May 30, 2015
Issue: Computer is freezing and unresponsive immediately after completing POST during Windows Startup. The circling dots just freeze. This started happening after the power cord was removed from the wall socket by accident.

My parts: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Williamep4/saved/#view=R3MQzy
I built my PC in 2016, and its been running fine since then besides a few blue screens here and there. I had some settings with my CPU and GPU overclocked, but i undid those at a later time. My RAM was running XMP but i also undid long before this started.
CPU: Intel i7 4790k
GPU: (Removed) GTX 980TI EVGA Hybrid
RAM: G.Skill Trident DDR3 2400 (It runs at 1600 i believe because XMP is disabled in BIOS by default)
PSU: Corsair AXI 1200
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK, ATX, LGA 1150 socket

I have a 2nd computer im using to trouble shoot parts.
I am able to BOOT into windows using my BOOT drive on the second computer.
I am able to BOOT into windows on both computers using the 2nd computers BOOT drive.

1. My Motherboard is displaying code A0 on my onboard POST display. This isnt an error code though and just means that my operating system is booting, and POST has completed.
  2. I was able to enter safemode on the primary computer. Ive tried reconfiguring BOOT options in MSCONFIG, but other than normal safe mode, it becomes unresponsive. Setting it to diagnostic startup, caused an error where it said my PIN could not be located and wouldnt allow me to login. This seemed to corrupt the operating system and i was not able to fix it without reinstalling windows again.
  3. I am able to BOOT into a USB install tool. I have tried reinstalling windows on 2 different SSDs using the primary computer, it will complete the initial procedures but during install it will freeze somewhere between 9-24%. Same loading dots are present and frozen. At this point im forced to shutdown and which point it give me an error saying windows was not able to properly install and i cant get any further.
  4. I have tried using the Repair Startup function in the advanced recovery tools but it always comes back as saying it was unable to fix the problem. After i erased the original BOOT partition, subsequant attempts to use these tools locks me out, as it requires a system administrator password to access the tools, but will not accept my password.
  5. I was able to run the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool on my primary computer using the 2nd computers BOOT drive, and everything came back with a PASS. I also used Crystal Disc Info and found no errors on any of the drives.
  6. I have reset my BIOS and installed a new CMOS battery, i have also switched to a second BIOS configuring using my motherboards onboard BIOS switches.
  7. All peripherals have been removed except for mouse and keyboard, aswell as any extraneaous USB headers and other attachments to the MOBO.
  8. Ive tried using different power cables and different SATA cables.
  9. I unplugged my primary PSU and used an old one and had the same result.
  10. I reinstalled windows on my primary SSD using the 2nd computer, and everything was operation until i moved it back to the primary computer. It started up once, then froze on login screen, subsequent restarts caused it to again freeze in the same place as before right after post during the loading dots.
So far, i know the GPU, RAM, and all my drives, 3 SSD and 2 HDD, are functional in the second computer, and the CPU passed testing on the primary computer.

I dont understand why i am able to boot into the computer using the 2nd computers drive. Its obviously not the RAM or GPU and i dont think its the CPU or i wouldnt have gotten as far as i did. I cant see why it would be a BIOS setting stopping me from booting into my SSDs as im using the default settings. The MBR shouldnt be an issue as its able to boot into the 2nd computer. If it was a corrupted OS, then reinstallation should have fixed the problem. If the problem is the Motherboard then ill have to wait up to 3 weeks to have it be shipped from China as theres a very small amount of boards available for my CPU, before i can know if that is a fix

This is my first post to this site, so if theres anything confusing or ive left out important details please let me know. Im very confused with this all. Ive tried everything i can think of. I troubleshot all the parts, and what im left with is contradictory and isnt making any sense to me.

Update: I was able to get into Windows for a couple of minutes using a newly formatted drive, but i got BSOD, WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Last edited:
Solution
the issue seems to be some hardware failed. theory why boot drive from second PC works is simple, that bootdrive doesnt have installed drivers for your hardware, so it runs about same drivers as safe mode does until it gets them from windows update

if you got whea error, than you could provide memory dumps
the issue seems to be some hardware failed. theory why boot drive from second PC works is simple, that bootdrive doesnt have installed drivers for your hardware, so it runs about same drivers as safe mode does until it gets them from windows update

if you got whea error, than you could provide memory dumps

Solution