Question PC Freezes Entering Windows Password Setup on New Build

wardmatt

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
Hey folks

Would really appreciate some assistance. I have a new build PC and am installing Windows 10 Pro. I get to the screen where it asks for my email address and password and when I am halfway through typing the password the whole computer freezes. Like totally freezes. Even pressing and holding the power button won't turn it off, you have to do a hard boot. This has happened 3 times. This symptom is so strange that I am not sure where to start to look for the root cause. Any and all ideas appreciated. TIA! - Matt.

wardmatt

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
ASUS TUF X570-PLUS (Wi-Fi) Mobo
MSI Ventus XS 1660 OC Edition Graphics
Crucial Ballistix 16gb DDR4-3200 RAM
Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED CPU Cooler
Corsair Carbide 175R RGB Case

wardmatt

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
Thanks for your patience rgd.

CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600. I didn't know I could update BIOS without windows - just researched that and will try that this morning. XMP (AMP) is off. 2 sticks of 8gb RAM in the recommended slots. Will also try moving these around and test that out.

Thanks again!

wardmatt

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
OK so it looks like a memory issue but I need help determining if it is the RAM or the MOBO. BIOS is updated. We switched the keyboard out for one with lights. When the PC freezes all the lights go out on the keyboard. Then the mobo RAM warning light comes on. I have tried each 8GB stick separately in slot A2 and slot B2 and I get the same result. What test can I run to see if it is the MOBO or RAM? Thanks.

Based on what you have helped me determine I realize that this post is in the wrong forum - sorry.

wardmatt

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
We purchased new RAM and the same problem occurs. Sometimes the mobo RAM warning light comes on, sometimes it doesn't, but during windows installation the PC freezes. The lights go off on the backlit keyboard and even the power and reset buttons stop functioning. I tried re-seating the graphics card, and also tried just having the minimal required cable connected. I have now ordered a new mobo and will try that later this week.

One other thing, if we stay in the BIOS screen the computer continues to work for a long time. It's only when we exit BIOS and start to install windows that the computer freezes.

Last edited:

wardmatt

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
So after trying multiple things including swapping out the memory (twice), replacing the mobo and not connecting the LAN, we finally got windows installed. However, the computer is still randomly freezing. When it freezes the mobo DRAM light comes on. Any suggestions on what to try next? Many thanks.

(Cross posted @ Reddit)

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS