PC freezes for a long time during game play!

Mar 1, 2018
Hi whoever reads this, I am having an issue with my computer atm when I play games like csgo, pubg ect, I can be mid game and my pc will freeze for a good 30 seconds or so but never hard freezes. I've checked the temps and all are fine, CPU sits at 15C to 35C and GPU 20C to 45C.

Specs

CPU - Processor AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor, 4300 mhz

GPU - R9 280 Windforce 4GB

Mobo - GA-970A-UD3P

Ram - XMS 3 DDR3 4x 2Gb 1333mhz

PSU - CX 600

SSD - GS 480GB SATA 3 6Gb/s

Any advice would be great and much appreciated thanks :)

CreepyNinja

Reputable
Jan 15, 2017
On which graphical settings you play on? and whats your framerate? what do you mean by hard freezing?

Without those questions answered i would think of non updated drivers or maybe even a steam bug.

You can do a stress test (for 60minutes) on your CPU, GPU and RAM to test if these are fine, do that especially when you done some overclocking.

Mar 1, 2018
Thanks for quick reply,

CSGO setting and PUBG are low, 200+ for CSGO and 40+ for PUBG.

Hard freeze when the pc doesn't respond or have sound.

How do I stress test them all?

Thanks.

CreepyNinja

Reputable
Jan 15, 2017
Download program HeavyLoad from the internet, install.
When you open it up you have to check the: CPU, GPU, and RAM boxes. Then simply click start test or something similar. Maybe the program works a little different now (last I used it 4 months ago; and am writing this from memory.) but I am sure you will find out how it works (it’s really easy)

Sorry for the late response, I had a day of and I am writing this from my mobile.

friedlander.m.s

Honorable
Feb 16, 2018

If playing on-line:
the INTERNET itself can cause this problem. If this happens when using internet)
If using wireless:
The fastest connection is always hard wire. Do not expect wireless to work as fast as a hard wire connection.
If you SHARE an internet connection, you can also expect delays.

Actually, 4GB RAM is quite a bit, when you use it at the intended speed.
Unfortunately, the default power settings dumb-down the possible speed of the computer.

Start> Control panel > look in the upper path bar, click on the arrow ">" after "control panel."
this opens a drop down menu
Then click "All control panel items"
Click: Power Options
Click: Show Additional Plans
Click: The arrow, check the box that says "high performance."
Click: Change Plan Settings
Turn Off Display: Never
Put Computer to Sleep: Never
Click: change advanced power settings
Hard Disk : turn off hard disk after: Never
Wireless adapter Settings: power saving mode Setting: Max Performance
Sleep: sleep after: Never
Allow Hybrid Sleep: Setting: Off
Hibernate After: Setting: Never
Allow Wake Timers: Setting Disabled
USB Settings: selective suspend setting Setting: Disabled
PCI Express Link Power State Setting: off
Display: turn off display Setting: Never (turn off monitor manually if desired)
Multimedia Settings
When sharing media : prevent idling to sleep
When Playing video: Setting: optimize video quality
Now: Click "OK"
Computer> system properties > Now open the Device Manager
Click On: mice and pointing devices ">" click on the arrow
Double Click on HID complaint Mouse
Click: power management tab
UN-check the box that says: "allow computer to turn off this device to save power"
Now open all devices on the list, and turn OFF all power savers, for every device, as above.
Now Click " OK"
Antivirus: set for "multimedia mode."
This prevents updating from interrupting your media. If you do not have an antivirus with this feature: get a different antivirus.
Set ALL updates to: manual. This prevents an update from eating resources that you would otherwise be using.

Free antivirus from internet: I do not recommend that you install any "free" security tools.
I do not recommend installing "cleaner," "sweeper," "driver helper,"or any free junk from the internet.

Avoid any download which claims to "fix" your computer.

I recommend that you use a professional all-in-one security application - not a free download.

Please consider, when you install multiple security programs, they can conflict with each-other. That's why you should use "all-in-one" pofessional security.
Restart the computer
Open Bios
Turn off Cool and Quiet (if AMD processor) Save and exit bios settings.
Restart Computer
Problems should be fixed now.

Rexer

Distinguished
Greetings. I use Steam to play Call of Duty online and sometimes I'll crash and have a reoccurring crashes after. What I found out is Steam sometimes reprograms the crash back into the game. When this happens I reset the game or set the game to default settings. The problem was solved.
Steam servers likes to remember your games settings whenever you're off line or doing a clean uninstall/reinstall. A great feature but sometimes it remembers a crash and programs it back in.
Make sure to write down your game settings when you do this as they will be gone also.
Hope this helps.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from l.lainson : "Long freezing of pc"

Mar 1, 2018
Hi rgd1101, I am Ethernet connected and the setting you recommend are set to how you describe but I'm still having the same issue as I recently infact two days ago did a fresh install to see if it was a software issue but seems to be the same.

I downloaded this program as a last resort to identify the issue as I'm trying to pinpoint what's causing the freezes, I think I have narrowed it down to hardware after I reinstalled windows and it's still happening.

Can someone with a bit of savvy please explain what this LatencyMon means
when I analyse for stability issues.

Thanks.

"Your system seems to have difficulty handling real time audio and other tasks. You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns. One or more DPC routines
That belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable cpu throttling settings in control panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates"

I'd appreciate any advice, would had been easier to put a picture up but the forum wouldn't let me.

Rexer

Distinguished
Still Freezes. Hmmm. It may be two programs you have running are conflicting with each other. rdg1101 mentioned this but I'll reword it a bit.
1) Anti virus programs (including those programs compatible and compatible with anti-spyware and malware programs such as Spybot, Malwarebytes) could be using a lot or resources. Use only one while running games. Zone alarm is notorious for blocking internet games. It's a firewall program (albeit a good one). Turn them off during internet gameplay. If you're using Malwarebytes with an anitvirus turn it off . They don't need to running during gameplay.
2) You may have fragments of an older video driver sharing the resources of the present one. This causes a lot freezes and black screens.
Doing a complete uninstall of your video drivers may help. Go to AMD and get the latest driver for your gpu card. Then find the 'AMD Cleanup Utility'. You may have to Google that. Follow the uninstall instructions and run the 'AMD Cleanup Utility' after it. With Nvidia you want to download DDU (which is good for AMD, too). Run those to for a complete uninstall.

Note: Some uninstallers like Revo Uninstaller and Windows Programs & Features, you may have to reinstall the gpu driver and use the AMD uninstaller then using the cleanup tool. This is because some cleanup tools need an identifying name source to get the fragments in registry pathway. Reinstalling the gpu driver reestablishes it.

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/display-driver-uninstaller/

Install the latest AMD video driver.
Once you've downloaded and installed it, use the Windows Cleaner.
Right click Local Disk C: and click properties at the bottom of the window.>run 'disk cleanup' or download a free-to-use cleaner like Ccleaner and also get the temporary files, internet history and cookies off. Then use the 'registry' tab to fix the registry. It's a great tool and can be run after you finish any viewing on the internet.

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

3) Again, right click Local Disk C: and go to properties at the bottom of the window.> open the 'tools' tab and run the error checker.> then defragment it. Restart your computer.
Hope this helps.

Rexer

Distinguished
How old is that PSU? Corsair CX 600 may be chugging along though it seems like it's got enough power. Does your computer just quit during normal work or browsing? Does it shut down during complete anti-virus scans? Does your computer pop up a lot error windows? Does it randomly shut down a couple times a month or week? A few years ago, dottorrent (Tom's Hardware) put up a PSU tier list which is still pretty helpful. Check it out.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

They're are other PSU listing, too.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

http://www.johnnylucky.org/power-supplies/psu-recommendations.html

And of course, the lemon list of don't buy this.

http://www.johnnylucky.org/power-supplies/psu-lemon-list.html

PSU is the heart of the system. If it screws up, it could do in other hardware components. It also might be wise to get a UPS unit, too (uninterruptible power supply). It save a lot of heartache.

Mar 1, 2018
Thanks for your help guys well I've purchased a new PSU and RAM since these comments but still the problem persists. So I have narrowed it down to my mobo! I'm doing a total new upgrade on platform could anyone help me as I have my eyes on these items thanks, any advice on wether the upgrade is worth it or not.

New specs

Cpu - i5 8400

Gpu - gtx 980

Ram - Corsair ddr4 3000mhz vengeance rgb

Mobo - MSI Z370 Tomohawk

Any advice would be great before I purchase!
Thanks.