Question PC Freezes in normal mode but not in safe mode

YuriyTheGamer

Distinguished
May 8, 2016
I've been having some issues with my PC where it freezes several minutes after using it. I could be running it idle or browsing the web, it still freezes 2-5 minutes after startup time. Then I have to restart my pc with the pc restart button. I booted up the pc in safe mode and the issue was not there so I narrowed it down to a driver issue. When disabling all the drivers and enabling them one by one in normal mode, the generic pnp monitor driver is particularly interesting. When its enabled, the pc freezes. When I disable it and restart my pc, the issue goes away. Afterwards I turn on a game for example, and the pc freezes again 2 minutes into the game. I ran memory checks, sys scannow, image restorehealth checks, updated windows, updated graphics card drivers. I also uninstalled the generic pnp monitor driver and let windows detect the driver automatically after restarting my pc but after doing that, it still freezes since generic pnp monitor is enabled again. I attached a minidump txt file link and it says the issue lies with

DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER (f7)
A driver has overrun a stack-based buffer. This overrun could potentially
allow a malicious user to gain control of this machine.

I'd like some insight on what is causing my pc to freeze, thank you.

Minidump file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WN2-PEOkNUPNZfacmp_HwZ3OxDgrbTjz/view?usp=sharing

Colif

Win 11 Master
thats not actually a minidump file, its the results of one

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
stack text mentions readyboost which used to be used to allow windows to use a USB drive as extra ram.
do you have a USB drive attached or SD Card?

its kind of pointless using it now as USB memory is slower than ram. It only used to make sense when we had 512mb of ram or so, 8gb or more is plenty.

I don't know how readyboost would be associated with monitor

https://superuser.com/questions/147...nabled-on-a-machine-with-an-ssd-in-windows-10

YuriyTheGamer

Distinguished
May 8, 2016
thats not actually a minidump file, its the results of one

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
stack text mentions readyboost which used to be used to allow windows to use a USB drive as extra ram.
do you have a USB drive attached or SD Card?

its kind of pointless using it now as USB memory is slower than ram. It only used to make sense when we had 512mb of ram or so, 8gb or more is plenty.

I don't know how readyboost would be associated with monitor

https://superuser.com/questions/147...nabled-on-a-machine-with-an-ssd-in-windows-10
Alright I followed option one from the link. Attached zip file is for my minidumps before this post.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-I5lgvyww3QlIQPFJvd1bD4HlwtXhDPb/view?usp=sharing

I actually have never used readyboost (at least not intentionally) and that is the first time I am hearing about it. No SD cards attached or flash drives. I only use USB connections for razer keyboard, logitech mouse, snowball microphone, hyperx headset, and sometimes my xbox controller.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Readyboost: I am sure its used for something else. I just can't figure out what.

what are specs of the PC? It shouldn't work if you have 16gb of ram. it won't even enable.

I need to ask a friend to convert dumps, he is busy so it might not be today.

YuriyTheGamer

Distinguished
May 8, 2016
Specs of PC

CPU: AMD FX-8350
Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming
GPU: Radeon RX 480
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Storage: WD Blue 1TB HDD
PSU: EVGA 500W W1 Series 80+

YuriyTheGamer

Distinguished
May 8, 2016
Update: I uninstalled my graphics card drivers using DDU. Reinstalled drivers back and the pc is not freezing anymore with generic pnp display being enabled.

Although, a new issue has developed in the meantime. Seeing as my pc doesn't freeze anymore, I booted up American Truck Simulator and played for 10 minutes up until the pc went to BSOD with KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1e) error and restarted itself. I updated the google drive link with todays minidump file.

YuriyTheGamer

Distinguished
May 8, 2016