[SOLVED] PC freezes randomly (usually during gaming.)

boosheemi

Honorable
Jun 17, 2015
Hello all.

I've having this problem for a while now and it has been driving me insane. My pc freezes randomly during gaming, or when I'm just trying to browse the web (although it is very rare.) I've realized that the fan chassis heats up a lot when the rig freezes. I've recently started using Windows 10 although the problem still persists. I used to use Windows 8, where it would make a buzzing sound and seize up. Opening the CD tray sometimes fixed it, or using CTRL+ALT+DELETE sometimes stopped it from freezing too. But after a while it would just freeze completely to a point where I can't do anything, and that's still the case however the buzzing sound is mysteriously dissappeared.
I've ran a stress test (used AIDA64) observing the temperatures of the components of my rig, and I've observed that the CPU ran at 80-85 C. Perhaps this may be the issue but I really don't know. I'd like to post the screenshots of the stress test but it freezed midway as you can imagine :(
Also, I know that it is probably not the GPU since I've used different GPUs and the problem still continued.
I've cleaned my PC and my fans in hopes of maybe overcoming this problem thinking maybe the dust and grime was suffocating the PC, but it proved useless.
Now when it freezes I'm forced to shut off the whole system and reboot it.

I'd really like to hear some tips or possible solutions for this particular problem, it has been really difficult to quarantine at home without a gaming rig that freezes every 20 or 30 minutes while trying to play games.
Thanks bunches.

THE SPECS
CPU : AMD FX-9370
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: CORSAIR DDR3 4 GB (2 of them in the system)
HARDDISK: WDC WD10EZEX (CAVIAR BLUE)
SSD: Corsair Force 128 GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master G750M

Solution
i'm not really looking to replace the parts just yet since I do not have the money now, but just to be clear, according to you, this is just a case of PC components exceeding their lifespans? If you really think this is the case I'd looking to be buy new parts, but if it's not necessary, I'm not looking to update the rig just yet. I'm just looking for a fix.
I'm not saying they exceeded their lifespan. I'm saying I don't advise spending money on a dead platform to keep it going unless it's something really small and inexpensive. Better to put money toward a new system since you would benefit far more from that. Your old 8-core CPU is easily beaten by a new generation 4-core CPU by 30% using only a fraction of the power used by...

boosheemi

Honorable
Jun 17, 2015
The cpu, whilst not gaming runs at 18-36 C. While playing Witcher 3, a CPU intensive game it can reach 80-85 C.
Around 43 percent of the ram used when not gaming.
40 GB of unused space left in the SSD.

Hello all.

I've having this problem for a while now and it has been driving me insane. My pc freezes randomly during gaming, or when I'm just trying to browse the web (although it is very rare.) I've realized that the fan chassis heats up a lot when the rig freezes. I've recently started using Windows 10 although the problem still persists. I used to use Windows 8, where it would make a buzzing sound and seize up. Opening the CD tray sometimes fixed it, or using CTRL+ALT+DELETE sometimes stopped it from freezing too. But after a while it would just freeze completely to a point where I can't do anything, and that's still the case however the buzzing sound is mysteriously dissappeared.
I've ran a stress test (used AIDA64) observing the temperatures of the components of my rig, and I've observed that the CPU ran at 80-85 C. Perhaps this may be the issue but I really don't know. I'd like to post the screenshots of the stress test but it freezed midway as you can imagine :(
Also, I know that it is probably not the GPU since I've used different GPUs and the problem still continued.
I've cleaned my PC and my fans in hopes of maybe overcoming this problem thinking maybe the dust and grime was suffocating the PC, but it proved useless.
Now when it freezes I'm forced to shut off the whole system and reboot it.

I'd really like to hear some tips or possible solutions for this particular problem, it has been really difficult to quarantine at home without a gaming rig that freezes every 20 or 30 minutes while trying to play games.
Thanks bunches.

THE SPECS
CPU : AMD FX-9370
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
RAM: CORSAIR DDR3 4 GB (2 of them in the system)
HARDDISK: WDC WD10EZEX (CAVIAR BLUE)
SSD: Corsair Force 128 GB
Power Supply: Cooler Master G750M
You definitely don't have enough ram and your platform is very old and outdated. You are in bad need of a new CPU/Motherboard/Ram upgrade. A new, speedy m.2 NVME drive to replace the old clunker hard drive and tiny SSD would also be a good idea.

boosheemi

Honorable
Jun 17, 2015
You definitely don't have enough ram and your platform is very old and outdated. You are in bad need of a new CPU/Motherboard/Ram upgrade. A new, speedy m.2 NVME drive to replace the old clunker hard drive and tiny SSD would also be a good idea.
i'm not really looking to replace the parts just yet since I do not have the money now, but just to be clear, according to you, this is just a case of PC components exceeding their lifespans? If you really think this is the case I'd looking to be buy new parts, but if it's not necessary, I'm not looking to update the rig just yet. I'm just looking for a fix.

I'm not saying they exceeded their lifespan. I'm saying I don't advise spending money on a dead platform to keep it going unless it's something really small and inexpensive. Better to put money toward a new system since you would benefit far more from that. Your old 8-core CPU is easily beaten by a new generation 4-core CPU by 30% using only a fraction of the power used by your 9370. That should tell you how old your system is getting. I'm not positive what's wrong with your system but for those old AMD CPU's temperature is usually to blame.

Solution

boosheemi

Honorable
Jun 17, 2015
Thanks for the replies guys, the problem is gone now. I switched over to a new CPU, and motherboard, upgraded my ram to DDR4 16GB 3200 mHZ, also took out the liquid cooling and switched to it air for a completely new take on the rig.

ASUS B550 Prime and AMD Ryzen 5 3600, are what I'm using right now, quite happy with my selections.

No problems so far, will hopefully get a GPU once this shortage thing gets sorted out.

Take care :) x