PC freezes shortly after turned on

Dislecksia

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
Hi, I built my first PC about two to three months ago, and I have had a freezing problem ever since then. It freezes anywhere from two to five minutes after I turn it on. At first I figured it was the Windows 7 I had installed, because it was pirated (cheap, I know), but I have ruled that out as I bought a copy and installed it and the problem persisted. I know it isn't the RAM, because I've tried a different stick of RAM in my PC (I'm using 2x4gb, if that matters), and it still froze. It also is not the mobo, I bought a new one and again, it still froze.
I don't have any idea of what it might be at this point, and am hoping to have this issue solved without the need to go to a PC repair shop.

Note: It does not happen in Safe Mode.
2nd Note: While installing my legitimate copy of Windows 7, it froze during the installation multiple times.

My specs:
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Black edition (Stock cooler, also happened while using an aftermarket).
Mobo: ASRock 970 extreme3 R2.0
PSU: Seasonic 550w
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 760
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb
HDD: WD 1TB Blue
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite

Solution
For a 1TB, yes that be too long. I suspect the HDD may have bad sectors and in the beginning of failing. I would suggest a replacement HDD (1TB last i seen were only $49).
As you said the issue occurs (LEGALLY BOUGHT Windows 7) when you were installing. This is a telltale sign. This is possible hardware failing, or just overheating. Please make sure to blow out with canned air first the components, and use a paintbrush on the PSU, grills, fans, etc. to ensure there is no dust. If it still having issues then I would suggest we need to determine the bad hardware.

First and foremost remember, Windows is the VERY last thing to ever test against, always test against BIOS first. If you always get BIOS working fine, then the issue is software issue 99.9% of the time which eliminates all hardware. As we DO NOT KNOW THIS, we need to validate the hardware first which this is the absolutely best and simplest way.

Dismantle the entire computer out, I MEAN REMOVE EVERYTHING. CPU, RAMs Mobo out of the case, PSu out of the case, etc. EVERYTHING. Now remove the Mobo Watch Battery and wait 15 minutes NO SOONER (we are depowering everything).

Place Mobo on cardboard box or a 'piece of wood'. Reseat Battery, the CPU, place in ONLY 1 RAM stick, Plug in GPU (as you have no onboard video) , plug in case power switch ONLY, connect PSU to MOBO and GPU Only. Power on, can you get BIOS? If yes, then power down and add 2nd RAM, again test to BIOS, still good?

Go into BIOS, Turn OFF RAID and go AHCI. Plug in drive, Boot to BIOS, any issues seeing the drive listed? No? Then test again adding the DVD drive. If your still fine download and make a DBAN CD. Wipe HDD clean. Now if there is any problem wiping / take a really long time (i.e. 18 hours), then the HDD that is failing.

Power down and reinstall the PSU into case, then power back on (keep the connections to the mobo and GPU only connected). Any issue getting to BIOS with PSU in case?

If not then power off, Unplug HDD and DVD and PROBABLY the GPU (most cases need you to slide the card into a mounting point on it) remount the Mobo as it is, and then the GPU ONLY> Power on, BIOS YES?

If all is still good mount SSDs and DVD, connect them all up. LEAVE CASE OPEN. Boot to BIOS yes? If yes, then reinstall the LEGAL Windows, does it reinstall properly? If not then there is a problem with that DVD of Windows / the HDD / other hardware point (Cabling, Mobo I/O, RAM, CPU or PSU - but is new Mobo so doubt it). Try then to download and install Ubuntu, does it work? If not then we narrowed down the problem to these last problems.

Let us know how things shake out.

Dislecksia

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
Okay, I'll get a replacement and let you know how that works out. Thanks for the help, are there any other tricks you know of to check if the other components aren't failing?

Well you eliminated RAM and Mobo you said, we now replaced HDD, that only leaves the CPU and the PSU as the last two components likely (hardware wise) to providing a issue IF this is a legally bought Win7 install. No download, no trialware, just straight out bought or downloaded from River (the DL site for Microsoft when you buy it from Microsoft.com).