PC Freezes when 5+ minutes idle and is connected to the internet

itasuke

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
So, I've been having this problem the past two weeks, can't remember what started it.
My PC freezes whenever left idle 5+minutes. The weird thing is, it only Freezes when connected to a router and the weirder thing is, it also freezes the router ! and the only thing that'll fix the router is by either force powering off the pc or unplugging the ethernet cable. Tried connected via Wifi, same issue, Tried a 4g usb router, same, so doesn't seem like a network card issue.
The only way to avoid the freeze is to disconnect the PC from any networks, which is weird.

-Tried changing the power settings as suggested from most posts on google, nothing.
-Tried disabling startup services, same thing.
-Tried Error checking on HDDs+SSD, no errors.
-Checked memory, no errors.
-Didn't try removing any hardware components yet, and didn't format either. Leaving those as a last resort.

Anyone knows what might be causing it ?
update: Tried starting in safe mode and leave the pc for the night and it didn't crash

Windows 10 Pro
CPU: i7-3770k
RAM: 32gb DDR 1333mhz
MB: Asus Maximus V
GPU: 2x 780 GTX SLI
PS: 1200watt

Solution
It might be a Hibernation problem or this:

Nvidia does not play well with Win 10.

Get the latest drivers from Nvidia, if that doesn't work, reinstall the driver you had before on whatever OS you had.

If that still doesn't fix it, go to Nvidia and start going backwards down the revision list and try each one until you find one that works.

Which ever one you finally find that works, do a clean install of it.

Some say the Geforce Experience app works OK.

Also make sure that you have disabled the setting for Win 10 to update drivers.

Bill

W Fallon

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
It might be a Hibernation problem or this:

Nvidia does not play well with Win 10.

Get the latest drivers from Nvidia, if that doesn't work, reinstall the driver you had before on whatever OS you had.

If that still doesn't fix it, go to Nvidia and start going backwards down the revision list and try each one until you find one that works.

Which ever one you finally find that works, do a clean install of it.

Some say the Geforce Experience app works OK.

Also make sure that you have disabled the setting for Win 10 to update drivers.

Bill

Solution