PC freezes when installing windows 7

Westy90

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
Hi all first time poster here it goes.

I've just built a new PC, I'm trying to install a Windows 7 64bit to it VIA a USB and I get past the part where the grey line says "Loading Windows Files" I continue to set the Language ect. continue on to where I can format my SSD and HDD which I have done that's all fine. Once I get to the part where it says "Expanding windows files" it will lock up or blue screen me. The blue screen indicates new hardware isn't install correctly and the PC shuts itself down to prevent damage. All my hardware is brand new.

I have searched every forum i can find and tried every fix I have found but nothing has worked. So far I have tried.....

1 stick of RAM - 1 HDD (at a time) - 1 SDD (at a time) - Flash bios to latest version - Unplugging everything and re seating everything back in - Tried the genuine MSWIN 7 CD - Tried a MS Server 2008 CD - Tried every USB port on the MOBO and case - Tried the absolute bare minimum hardware in the case. Nothing seems to work. I can't try onboard graphic because it doesn't have it. I havent plugged wifi card or any sound cards in either.

SPECS:
ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0
MSI R7950 Series
Athlon II x2 260 3.2ghz
ADATA Gaming Series DDR3 4gb RAM 1333hz
SSD & HDD

Edit: I found if i just leave the PC idling after "windows loading files" it will just lock up or blue screen so its at no specific point other then after "windows loading files." Also the reason why I'm using USB is because my CD died so i download WIN 7 and just bought a CD Key online. I used the exact same bootable USB on another PC of mine and it worked fine.

Maybe the motherboard, CPU, or video card. I'd try different RAM also just in case. You seemed to have covered much of the troubleshooting pretty well already aside from swapping out hardware for known working ones, so need to start doing that.

Are all these new parts or did you have them lying around or bought used?

Westy90

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
Originally the GPU/RAM and hard drives were in a system which the water cooling system burst. So I recently purchased a new mobo and CPU. In Boise its detecting my CPU and ram fine an I've also ran a men test of RAM with no faults found.

Saying that I'll try a new GPU and HDD first.

Westy90

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
0x0000001E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000008,x0000000000000000)

That is the code i'm getting on blue screen.

NOTE: Video card fan is spinning.

EDIT: So i went into bios and found that my RAM was running at 1439mhz instead of 1333mhz so i changed it to 1333mhz and its getting twice as far as it was before, but now it's only blue screening me saying this "Disable or unistall any antivirus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your harddrive configuraton, and check for update drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for HDD corruption, then restart your PC.

Tech info. *** ntfs.sys - address FFFFF88001cdaa3f base at FFFFF88001c19000, datastam 4ce792f9

So youre getting a 0x1e stop error and its saying ntfs.sys right. When you try to install windows?

It sounds like its hdd related since ntfs.sys is involved. Is the hdd new ?

And youre booting from the USB right (you changed the bootdisk in the BIOS to it)?

Youre not trying to install windows from within windows?

Westy90

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
Correct.
Old hard drive which has only been formatted within the installation process.
I guess I'm booting from USB right, i go into BIOS click boot then select my USB.
No I'm not usng a CD but i have tried a Windows Server 2008 CD which came to the same position and froze.

Westy90

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
I have 2 HDDs one is Solid state and both fail exactly the same.

Is there a program I can use to format more in depth without needing a OS?

EDIT: I'm going to kill disk my HDD see if it helps.

Westy90

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
What do you mean by installing windows within windows?

When I got my new mobo and CPU I plugged everything and booted it got to my desktop then kept crashing obviously driver issues so I thought I needed to install a fresh copy hence my problems now of still getting a freeze

Westy90

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
Yeah understood. I've noticed when i go into BIOS it will sometimes have my RAM running at 1439 when that is the case it doesnt get as far. When i change it to 1333mhz it seems to proceed a little further.

I can't see it being a HDD problem being the fact their seated in different places and water couldn't of contaminated BOTH.

I'm really really lost now.

Westy90

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015

I found my MOBO was doing an auto overclock which was killing the machine. I turned it all off and made a few adjustments in CPU section of bios and tadaa! Everything is working, i ran furmark for 2 days before it crashed.