[SOLVED] PC freezes when using GPU that requires additional power

Sep 26, 2019
Hello everyone!

I have an issue with my system. When I play (or rather start) my pc freezes and I cannot move my mouse or keyboard. I have to reset my pc. The only game that works w/o issue is Leauge of Legends.

I thought it was outdated drivers. I have DriverEasy and updated everything. Windows 10 is updated as well. Still encountered the problem. I thought the problems were with the updates. Rolled back the driver updates and still have issues.

System Specs:
MB: Asrock 970m Pro3
CPU: FX8350 no OC
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: Corsair Vengence 2X8GB
PSU: EVGA 600W Bronze

I noticed that my pc doesn't freeze when I use my GT 1030 which requires no additional power from the PSU but when I use my 1060 it freezes. I tested it with rx570 since it requires additional power and same issue as 1060. Im thinking it's a faulty psu or what do you guys think?

Solution
I agree. That power supply is likely quite a few years old plus it was never very good to begin with. It's likely it has had some degradation by now and is probably well below it's original ability to sustain capacity. Or, there could certainly be other issues with it internally as well. Bottom line, it's the exact sort of problem we see with these green label CX units all the time so that is what I'd go after first.
I agree. That power supply is likely quite a few years old plus it was never very good to begin with. It's likely it has had some degradation by now and is probably well below it's original ability to sustain capacity. Or, there could certainly be other issues with it internally as well. Bottom line, it's the exact sort of problem we see with these green label CX units all the time so that is what I'd go after first.

Reactions: pickuplimes
Solution