[SOLVED] Pc freezing after minimizing a game and trying to use desktop and other programs

Crimson42

Reputable
Oct 22, 2019
Hi everyone not sure if this is the right place to be posting as its the first time im using this forum. when im playing intensive games if i minimize the game and try to navigate through the desktop or open other programs the pc runs extremely slow and freezes(even just scrolling over icons becomes delayed) however when i cap my framerate in game or lower graphics settings to alleviate gpu load and then try to minimize it seems to work without issues. my cpu usage never goes above 50-60% and games i have tried so far include ac origins, gears 5 and watch dogs 2.What could be the cause of this issue or is it normal for the pc to freeze if gpu usage is between 95-100% and i minimize the game.

System specs:
i9 9900k
msi z390-a pro
gtx 1080
hyperx fury 2x 8gb(3200mhz cl18)
psu: cosair cx650m

Solution
You can try to reset bios to factory then try it,
Dont think 1.4v is a problem for that cpu “ Maximum Vcore of Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor is 1.52V. ” https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...0032392/processors/intel-core-processors.html

But then again that Mobo is on the edge for i9 found many videos and reviews telling that is has somewhat bad VRM’s that could be a cause of the problem. Maybe somebody with more experiance in VRMs can help.

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
Try the standard, drivers for gpu and mobo (chipset). Do you play in fullscreen? Try windowsed borderless. OC on gpu? Put back on stock and try. GPU temps ok? 80c max and for last —>Try to lower gpus memory speed by 50hz.

Crimson42

Reputable
Oct 22, 2019
windowed borderless has the same issue, my temps are under 75c with no oc will try lowering mem speed. also since my mobo is on the cheaper side i noticed during load cpu vcore was 1.42v which is way to high so i used intel xtu to set an offset of -0.9 which has helped temps however since my voltage is set to auto in bios it consistently changes when playing ac origins vcore is at 1.3v when i minimize to desktop vcore drops to 1.4v(also during idle vcore drops to 0.8v) while the game is still running in the background is this okay or would it cause issues?

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
You can try to reset bios to factory then try it,
Dont think 1.4v is a problem for that cpu “ Maximum Vcore of Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor is 1.52V. ” https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...0032392/processors/intel-core-processors.html

But then again that Mobo is on the edge for i9 found many videos and reviews telling that is has somewhat bad VRM’s that could be a cause of the problem. Maybe somebody with more experiance in VRMs can help.

Solution