Question Pc freezing, audio and input cutting out

Jul 2, 2021
Hi, I built my computer earlier this year and have been encountering a strange problem, in that sometimes my pc will ‘freeze’ audio from my pc will cut out and any input from mouse or keyboard not go through until the pc goes back to normal and this freezing is sometimes accompanied by a zapping or clicking noise through my headset

These freezes are only for a few seconds at a time and I have noticed it will only occur when doing certain things.
The things that will make it freeze are pressing the share screen button on discord, this will freeze the pc for about 3-4 seconds at a time every 5 or so seconds until I select a screen or program to share.
The other time I will encounter this issue is while gaming. It currently only seems to be on open world games. The games I have noticed it on are theHunter: Call of the Wild, Far Cry 5 and most recently and definitely the most affected: Generation Zero

Now for the first two titles this freezing will only happen every 5-10 minutes for about 5 seconds at a time

However with Generation Zero the freezing occurs about every 5 seconds lasting for about 5 seconds. I changed the resolution of the game from 1440p to 1080p which helped in that it spaced out the times between the freezes to every couple of minutes but did not fix the issue.

I have the newest graphics card driver and update other drivers yesterday with amd chipset software.

I have run ‘sfc /scannow in command prompt which told me that it repaired some corrupted files however did not fix the problem.

I have also checked the ram by running mdsched.exe but this detected no errors.

Specs are as follows:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
MOBO: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8GB DDRD4-3600 CL17
GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8GB Tuf Gaming OC

Last edited:
Hi, I built my computer earlier this year and have been encountering a strange problem, in that sometimes my pc will ‘freeze’ audio from my pc will cut out and any input from mouse or keyboard not go through until the pc goes back to normal and this freezing is sometimes accompanied by a zapping or clicking noise through my headset

These freezes are only for a few seconds at a time and I have noticed it will only occur when doing certain things.
The things that will make it freeze are pressing the share screen button on discord, this will freeze the pc for about 3-4 seconds at a time every 5 or so seconds until I select a screen or program to share.
The other time I will encounter this issue is while gaming. It currently only seems to be on open world games. The games I have noticed it on are theHunter: Call of the Wild, Far Cry 5 and most recently and definitely the most affected: Generation Zero

Now for the first two titles this freezing will only happen every 5-10 minutes for about 5 seconds at a time

However with Generation Zero the freezing occurs about every 5 seconds lasting for about 5 seconds. I changed the resolution of the game from 2440 to 1980 which helped in that it spaced out the times between the freezes to every couple of minutes but did not fix the issue.

I have the newest graphics card driver and update other drivers yesterday with amd chipset software.

I have run ‘sfc /scannow in command prompt which told me that it repaired some corrupted files however did not fix the problem.

I have also checked the ram by running mdsched.exe but this detected no errors.

Specs are as follows:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
MOBO: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8GB DDRD4-3600 CL17
GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8GB Tuf Gaming OC
Hello and welcome to the forums

Going from your symptoms i'd say that the GPU is to blame

but to be certain, it would be best to try your gpu in another system (friend, neighbour etc) and see if the issue persists

Let us know how it went and we'll go from there

Jul 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to the forums

Going from your symptoms i'd say that the GPU is to blame

but to be certain, it would be best to try your gpu in another system (friend, neighbour etc) and see if the issue persists

Let us know how it went and we'll go from there
Hi, I replaced the GPU with my old 1060, this seemed to fix all issues as I launched the affected games and they ran without any freezing at all. This convinced me that the cause of these issue were in fact the GPU so I packaged it up and was about to return it as it is still under warranty. However earlier today I turned my pc on (with the 1060 in) and the freezing was the worst I've ever seen it. My pc was freezing about every 2 seconds, input from the mouse would not be detected during these freezes and as I was trying to type my pin password in, i would press a number once only eg. '5' but the PC would spaz out and enter the number about twenty times '555555555555555555555' although I had only pressed the key once on my keyboard. The other issue I was encountering was also the exact opposite, I had to press a key 3-4 times just for the PC to detect a single input.

I restarted my PC several times however this did not solve it and it was freezing every single time I got to the lock screen. I unplugged the keyboard and even then the freezing was present through the mosue input cutting out. I then booted my PC from a USB that has the windows media creation tool on it and the freezing was still persistant.

After painstakingly entering my password I managed to unlock my PC and get to the desktop. This suddenly solved the freezing and I am using the same keyboard now to type out this reply.

I have restarted my PC since and once I reach the lock screen I am having no issues at all. This freezing seems to have a mind of it's own and now that the games are running without freezing on the 1060 I have no idea how to actually trigger the freezing and knowing it is not the GPU has made it even harder to troubleshoot.

Please let me know your thoughts and advice you have following this, thank you.

Jul 2, 2021
brand and model of the psu?
ssd or hdd?
PSU is Corsair RM 750
The drive I launch from is Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB
Secondary drive is Western Digital Blue 500GB SSD
Third drive is a Seagate Barracuda 2TB hard drive which I installed earlier this week (however I was experiencing the problems mentioned in this post far before I installed this)

In my reply to Quanticriver, I mentioned that the PC was also freezing when I booted from a USB with windows media creation tool if that helps at all if you are thining the issue possibly lies within the drives.