Question Pc freezing, GPU at 100% and fans full speed. Not Gaming

Nov 18, 2020
Here is the HWInfo for my build: View: https://imgur.com/BTxUFHW

My PSU: 750W 80 PLUS Gold ATX Power Supply, purchased in 2018

I will be in Outlook writing and email, or in excel working on a spreadsheet, or in Chrome just browsing. The fans quick spin up to full speed. Programs stop responding. Cant shut down or restart the PC.

If I manage to get Task Manager open quickly the GPU is should 100% usage but all programs show 0% in the itemised part.

Temps aren't high, on GPU or CPU when it happens.

Things I have tried:

-Clean Install of Windows 10
-Clean Driver install through Nvidia Geforce Experience
-Uninstall of graphics driver using DDU and install of new driver through windows update
-Update motherboard drivers, chipset drivers and BIOS
-Removal of afterburner overclocking profile - I had the power lower than 100% to keep the temps down. It has happened multiple times since removing this and during it.
-Scan with Malwarebytes
-Windows Defender Offline Scan and Full Scan
-Removal of Gigabyte RGB Fusion (terrible software)

This has not happened during gaming and it does not seem to be related to one program in particular.

Any advice for some further troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Update: It happed again and I took a picture of the Task Manager GPU: View: https://imgur.com/SPsG194

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020
Here is the HWInfo for my build: https://imgur.com/BTxUFHW

I will be in Outlook writing and email, or in excel working on a spreadsheet, or in Chrome just browsing. The fans quick spin up to full speed. Programs stop responding. Cant shut down or restart the PC.

If I manage to get Task Manager open quickly the GPU is should 100% usage but all programs show 0% in the itemised part.

Temps aren't high, on GPU or CPU when it happens.

Things I have tried:

-Clean Install of Windows 10
-Clean Driver install through Nvidia Geforce Experience
-Uninstall of graphics driver using DDU and install of new driver through windows update
-Update motherboard drivers, chipset drivers and BIOS
-Removal of afterburner overclocking profile - I had the power lower than 100% to keep the temps down. It has happened multiple times since removing this and during it.
-Scan with Malwarebytes
-Windows Defender Offline Scan and Full Scan
-Removal of Gigabyte RGB Fusion (terrible software)

This has not happened during gaming and it does not seem to be related to one program in particular.

Any advice for some further troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Is it a new PC or did you assemble it yourself? I am telling you because when I assembled my computer the damaged motherboard came and it did not detect the temperature of the processor, when replacing it with another one under guarantee everything worked correctly.

Nov 18, 2020
Is it a new PC or did you assemble it yourself? I am telling you because when I assembled my computer the damaged motherboard came and it did not detect the temperature of the processor, when replacing it with another one under guarantee everything worked correctly.
Assembled it my self and have been using it for the past 1-2years. I have the CPU under a Kraken x62 and I am confident with the temps