PC freezing/locking up constantly while gaming.

Viper082503

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017
I have been having this problem for about a year and a half, ever since I first had the computer built. Been banging my head against the wall for a while with it. Had it built by Cybertron PC, custom Palladium build.

Windows Version: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (x8)
RAM: 16 GB RAM (2x Crucial 8gb DDR4)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Z170-Gaming K3
Disk Drive: TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB
Power Supply: LSP ULTRA 650W ATX Power Supply

While gaming my computer will freeze/lock up completely, requiring a hard restart each and every time which it always comes back without any other issues, just the lock up and restart and then it's fine after the restart. It does not restart by itself or anything, just after some time it will freeze up and sometimes gets a buzzing sound come from speakers. It seems to be pretty random, the amount of time it takes to freeze. I have had it happen in less than 5 minutes after starting up a game and I have had it take over an hour but it is guaranteed to happen within 2 hours. It is making it nearly impossible to game with it. Most of the time I will jump on Subnautica, The Forest, Ben and Ed, and even non Steam games like Raft and Star Citizen and it happens on all of these games. I have had them all set on the highest of graphics (which looks amazing btw) and lowest and it still freezes. I have tried using MSI Afterburner and collected all kinds of info from it but it all looks on the level. Had to remove MSI Afterburner though since I started getting some issues on my system because of it and had to uninstall it which sucks because I really liked it for all the information it kept track of. No temps were getting over 70C but since I lost MSI I have seen it get as high as 82C on GPU and up to 64C on the CPUs when using 3D Mark benchmarking with Time Spy for 4K gaming, which is still good for peak. This issue should not be happening with this build and has me at a complete loss. Trying to avoid taking it to a computer repair shop if I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Still having the same problem, keeps happening every time I turn on any game. Not sure what else to do, anyone have any ideas?

Solution

Don't overdo it with benchmarking tools, 83 C is a bit high. Try to use your onboard graphics, so unplug your gpu and see if you can reproduce it. Try Prime95, a...

Viper082503

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017

I ran a RAM test with the windows diagnostic tool which came up with no faults with both but I will give it a try with a bootable memtest with only one stick now.

Sectors checked by memory diagnostics are nothing. Try the memtest86

Viper082503

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017

Ok, just finished checking both individually and got no errors. The new BIOS on this pc is very different to navigate than I am used to... Any other suggestions?

Connote

Commendable
Aug 2, 2016
Did you find a fix? I think I'm having same problem...

My PC cuts out after gaming under heavy load and completely losing power in USB's and my screen freezes, sound cuts out abruptly..Leading to hard reset.

Viper082503

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017

Unfortunately not, I haven't had much luck with it at all. Still waiting on any help I can get. Only suggestion I have as of now is save frequently... Still checking everything I can but I am going to have to put a little money together and take it to a repair shop and hopefully get some answers. Will send you a message if I find anything out.

Viper082503

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017

I do not have a second gpu, can check it with furmark. I have tried benchmarking software 3d mark and heaven but they haven't recreated the freeze as of yet but I only ran them for about 30 minutes each. Will attempt to see if I can get my hands on another gpu though.

Just ran for over an hour, temps maintained about 83C almost the entire time but no crashes or freeze. Still freezes up while gaming though in less time.

Don't overdo it with benchmarking tools, 83 C is a bit high. Try to use your onboard graphics, so unplug your gpu and see if you can reproduce it. Try Prime95, a blend test will stress your cpu and much of your ram simultaneously, a good simulation of gaming stress but without the gpu. Let it run several passes and watch your temps.

Solution
Sep 27, 2018
Look, I think I've found a possible solution, you should go to the Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Power Options, Change Settings, Change Advanced Settings, Processor Power Manager, Maximum Processor State, if it's 100% lower to 80%, apply the changes. If it continues to cause you reduce the problem until you see that it no longer blocks you anymore.

You tell me if it served you.
Regards;

Aug 28, 2021

Unfortunately not, I haven't had much luck with it at all. Still waiting on any help I can get. Only suggestion I have as of now is save frequently... Still checking everything I can but I am going to have to put a little money together and take it to a repair shop and hopefully get some answers. Will send you a message if I find anything out.
What did the solution end up being? I am having the exact same issue with Raft like you said and other games as well