Question PC Freezing/Rebooting During Gaming Only.

Kenhyper

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2014
Good afternoon fellow pc enthusiasts :).
I've got a bit of a conundrum. My PC will freeze/lock up whenever I'm gaming, and during completely random intervals forcing me to power off manually. This occurs randomly and could be 3 minutes into gaming, or 3 hours. Has not however occur during a GPU benchmark... Event logger has shown a multitude of WHEA Errors throughout my troubleshooting process, as the issue continues to persist. Before I get into the specifics. here's a hardware breakdown (All with the latest firmware/drivers installed)

MOBO: Asus ROG Strix B660-I GAMING WIFI
CPU: Intel I5-12600KF w/ NZXT Kraken x53 AIO [came with NZXT H1 ver1 case]
RAM: Hyper Fury 32GB 5200 DDR5
GPU: Asus TUF GAMING 3070TI => Asus TUF GAMING 3080
PSU: Corsair SFX 850W Gold
Nvme: Western Digital Blue 1TB PCIE4

Troubleshooting Steps Taken
  • sfc /scan - Clean(No issues)
  • mem test multiple times - Clean(No issues)
  • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth - Clean(No issues)
  • Upgraded the NZXT OEM 750W PSU that came in the H1 to the Corsair SFX 850W to ensure there's enough power for my GPU
  • Assuming a GPU problem, I RMA'd my 3070TI with Asus, they sent me back a 3080. - Issue persisted.
  • Clean install of Windows 11. - Issue Persisted
  • Tested with 1 ram stick, then the other, then again with both reseated. Each time doing a memtest. - Issue persisted
  • Removed / Cleaned / checked CPU, then reseated. CPU is perfect. - Issue persisted
  • Ran Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool - Clean(No Issues)
  • Cleared CMOS. - Issue changed from freezing only to now randomly either freezing, or just rebooting.
  • I've ensured all drivers are up to date, motherboard bios has been updated.
  • I've monitored all temps during gaming and there are no spikes, or concerning temps.
Notable WHEA-Logger Events
  • Error - A fatal hardware error has occurred [Occurs during every freeze]
  • Event ID 17 - A corrected hardware error has occurred.
    Component: PCI Express Root Port
    Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express) Confirmed this was in relation to PEG10 - 460D

I've spoken with Asus again and they've recommended returning my MOBO for RMA. I'm just wondering, have I done everything I can do? The issue persisted across 2 PSU's, 2 GPU's, Single and Double ram sticks, post cmos clear, and all other troubleshooting, and has now only been getting worse (reboots occurring now as well).

Any assistance at all would be greatly appreciated, also let me know if there's any additional information you require to help.

Thanks in advance! <3

Lutfij

Titan
The power draw on the RTX3080 is higher than the RTX3070Ti. To also add, the RTX3000 series had a transient load spike issue whereby you needed a higher wattage unit, more so like 1KW(or higher if you went with an RTX3090) to stave off the issue.

Have you tried sourcing(borrowing, not buying) a 1KW PSU to test the issue out and ruling your PSU for being unable to power the system?

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Kenhyper

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2014
The power draw on the RTX3080 is higher than the RTX3070Ti. To also add, the RTX3000 series had a transient load spike issue whereby you needed a higher wattage unit, more so like 1KW(or higher if you went with an RTX3090) to stave off the issue.

Have you tried sourcing(borrowing, not buying) a 1KW PSU to test the issue out and ruling your PSU for being unable to power the system?

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Oh wow, no I don't really have that option at the moment :(. I very much hope that isn't the case as a 1k PSU will definitely not fit inside my NZXT H1 case.

My current Mobo Firmware version : Version 2212

Kenhyper

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2014
You might want to go through this video;
View: https://youtu.be/wnRyyCsuHFQ

Ok so it looks like I may need to actually get a bigger PSU...
I'm hesitant to return my mobo for RMA as if they do find an issue, they may not have my exact mobo in stock and I would really rather not change my case. (Though if it does turn out to be transient spikes, then I'm stuck and have to get a PSU and a new case anyway...)
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'm going to run some tests to identify this tomorrow and I'll report back

Last edited:
It might be your PSU but the thing is that I know of many people who have RTX 3080s with a Corsair 850W PSU without problems. It really sounds like the main issue is in your motherboard's power distribution circuits. ASUS wouldn't recommend an RMA unless they were sure because it costs them money. When it comes to computer systems, there's no question that ASUS knows their stuff and if they recommend an RMA, I would definitely follow their advice.

Reactions: Kenhyper