Question PC freezing sporadically after startup with DRAM light.

Jun 1, 2023
Hello everyone!

I have been having an issue with a new PC build. It will lock up and show a yellow DRAM light on the motherboard. I can not use the power button to shutdown and have to use the PSU to power the PC down at that point.
All the parts were purchased brand new and are listed below.

Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (x570)​
Bios Version: 4402​
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.90GHZ​
Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63​
RAM: G.Skill 4x8GB F4-3200C16-8GVKB (C16D-16GVKB)​
GPU: Gigabyte RX 6800 XT Aorus Master​
PSU: Corsair RM850x​
HDD: Western Digital 2TB (WDC WD20EZBX-00AYRA0)​

The system will POST and boot fine. The issue has occurred a few times about 30 minutes after login and twice when shutting the PC down.

So far I have reformatted the HDD, reset the motherboard settings (through the UEFI and CMOS reset button), reseated the ram in the motherboard, and ran memtest86 which reported no errors with the RAM.

One last thing to note is that this RAM is not on the motherboards QVL however it is the correct frequency. I haven't had an issue with ram not being on the QVL before so I assume that is not the issue.

Any further guidance would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Solution
While a single kit of @x8GB is listed as compatible by G.Skill with your motherboard and CPU, it is not listed in a 32GB compatible (4 x 8GB kit).
And as noted on that G.Skill QVL page: "QVL compatibility is for single memory kit only."
Your best bet for a good solution is to contact G.Skill tech support: techsupport@gskill.com
Jun 1, 2023
I hadn't realized they came from two separate kits! An oversight on my end that I believe is the cause of this issue. Thank you for finding and presenting this information to me.

Reactions: RealBeast