PC freezing then shutting down

im the new guy

Prominent
May 7, 2017
Hi all,

I re-built my PC about 6 months or so ago. During that build, I replaced my motherboard, ram, cpu, and gpu and kept my hard drives and power supply.

The hard drives and power supply are 7 or 8 years. Everything else is new.

Anyway, to my problem:

I have been having issues for quite some time now, where my PC will randomly freeze and then turn off. Occasionally the PC will remain frozen and not turn off, but more times than not, it will turn off after a 10-20 second delay.

I have looked at the event logs and it simple says that my wasn't shutdown properly.

I reformatted my PC this evening, and as I was halfway through installing the first program (Nvidia drivers) to the fresh W10 install, when it happened again.

Once thing I have noticed recently is that my CPU is idling hotter than I would like. This is a screen shot of it after doing nothing but installing programs and moving files to my drives:
WFIFNGX.png

http://i.imgur.com/WFIFNGX.png

As you can see, the PC is idling at 52 degrees and had been as high as 96 degrees. Considering I haven't even launched anything processor intensive, it seems to be running quite hot. The highest load was 52%.

MY Setup:
Core i7 6700k
Gigabyte Z170 SLI motherboard
16GB DDR4 ram
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
1100w PSU(can't remember brand)
intel 128GB SSD
3TB HDD
1TB HDD
600GB raptor drive

I like to think that I am rather savvy when it comes to fixing PC issues. I can generally solve all of my problems with my experience and google, but this is getting under my skin. I have no idea what would be causing it, and I have been unsuccessful finding a solution on the internet.

Any help that you can offer me would be appreciated :)

im the new guy

Prominent
May 7, 2017

Thanks for the reply.

Would the PC freeze if it was a heat related crash?
Wouldn't it just cut power as soon as it went over the threshold?

im the new guy

Prominent
May 7, 2017
Ok so I think I have fixed the issue.

I cleaned my processor and heatsink with rubbing alcohol and reapplied thermal paste.

The heat was still idling at 40-50 in the first 10min of operating, so I thought it might be the watercooler (Coolmaster Neptune 240M) causing the problem. After playing around for a good 2 and a bit hours, I finally came to the conclusion that the issue was the fan in the pump not spinning.
I tried plugging it into a few different 4-pin fan ports on the mobo with without much success, and I played with the fan speed in the BIOS, increasing the spin speed as the temp rose. This worked for about an hour until the pump stopped spinning completely and my CPU temp shot through the roof.

Finally, I downloaded the System information utility for my motherboard, which allowed me to create a fan curve for my pump and exhaust fans, and this fixed the issue.