[SOLVED] PC froze and now I have no display, keyboard and mouse not responsive.

Mar 21, 2022
While watching a video my computer crashed to a black screen. After a restart it still would only show a black screen. I reseated the ram and gpu and checked power connections. That seemed to fix the problem as for an hour it was working fine. The computer went to sleep and when I came back to it later it wouldn’t power on.
Cpu: ryzen 7 5800x
Gpu: nvidia rtx 3060
Mobo: gigabyte b450
Ram: 8*4= 32gb ddr4 3200mhz
Storage= 1tb nvme, 500gb hdd, 128gb Sata ssd
Psu: 550w bronze

after not being able to get it to post for awhile I talked with geek squad and decided to try a different psu

installed a corsair rm850x and changed cmos battery still with no luck getting anything other than a black screen.

also I should note I cannot turn off the system by any means other than the psu switch. Case power button will turn the system on but will not shut it off after.

Solution
fans and lights turn on but nothing on the screen
just to verify it is still okay, try your display on another system.

or another display on your own.
if you have an HDMI TV in the house, try it.
cannot get to BIOS or OS
if the screen turns out to still be okay then unfortunately this could be caused by many problems.

try each RAM module in each DIMM slot one-at-a-time.
malfunctioned/damaged memory can result in the inability to boot but the majority of the time i've just encountered errors on the POST screen.

try another known functioning graphics card.
and if possible a friend, co-worker, family member, etc that has a similar system you could use to troubleshoot your other hardware by swapping with known functioning...
Mar 21, 2022
but the system is successfully powering on again now?

the OS power options(Sleep, Shutdown, Restart, etc) do not work?

Unfortunately not, I cannot get to BIOS or OS. the fans and lights turn on but nothing on the screen other than my monitor saying “no signal check your connection.” Have tried hdmi and display port

fans and lights turn on but nothing on the screen
just to verify it is still okay, try your display on another system.

or another display on your own.
if you have an HDMI TV in the house, try it.
cannot get to BIOS or OS
if the screen turns out to still be okay then unfortunately this could be caused by many problems.

try each RAM module in each DIMM slot one-at-a-time.
malfunctioned/damaged memory can result in the inability to boot but the majority of the time i've just encountered errors on the POST screen.

try another known functioning graphics card.
and if possible a friend, co-worker, family member, etc that has a similar system you could use to troubleshoot your other hardware by swapping with known functioning components.

or just contact a local computer shop and see what they may charge for a round of hardware tests.
most small business shops offer good deals in these circumstances because they want return customers for higher-end sales and references.

Solution
Mar 21, 2022
I’ve ruled out the monitor by confirming an Xbox works on it. Gone through quite a few different ram configurations even used 2 older dimms I had around that were not in the system when it crashed.

unfortunately I don’t have east access to another gpu. I do have a older cpu with integrated graphics if that works without my gpu installed it would essentially tell me the same thing correct?

I do have a older cpu with integrated graphics if that works without my gpu installed it would essentially tell me the same thing correct?
if is compatible with this motherboard it can help confirm;
if it only works without the GPU then the GPU is more than likely malfunctioned or been damaged somehow.
if it works along with the GPU then the 5800x is most definitely the culprit.

Mar 21, 2022
if it only works without the GPU then the GPU is more than likely malfunctioned or been damaged somehow.

following up report is the pc will boot and I got into windows with my ryzen 5 3400g. I shut down and added the gpu back in which brought me back to the same problem regardless if I plugged into the motherboard or graphics card. For sure a gpu issue?

TRENDING THREADS