Question Pc games read my true 120hz monitor as 60hz native

Jun 27, 2021
So I bought a sony 85j 50” tv and for the life of me I can not get games to read it as 120hz.I made sure it’s plugged into the 120hz hdmi port on the tv and found the vrr/enhanced setting for that port and tried both enhanced and vrr with no luck. I have a 1060 that only supports 120hz in 1080 p, so I went into the nvidia control panel and set it to 1080p 120hz, as well as 1080 in the game settings, so I know the pc is reading the monitor as 120hz, why arent my games reading it correctly?

Jun 27, 2021
i Just checked and my resolution is 1080 and refresh is 120 in windows. I’m trying To find a non ubisoft title to try, just in case it’s just a them problem. I bought a month subscription so most my library is from them at the moment.

edit: I didn’t realize that a lot of games just don’t support 120hz so maybe that’s my problem. You always hear people touting the joys of faster than 60fps gameplay so I just assumed any pc game would have a 120hz option.

Last edited:
i Just checked and my resolution is 1080 and refresh is 120 in windows. I’m trying To find a non ubisoft title to try, just in case it’s just a them problem. I bought a month subscription so most my library is from them at the moment.

edit: I didn’t realize that a lot of games just don’t support 120hz so maybe that’s my problem. You always hear people touting the joys of faster than 60fps gameplay so I just assumed any pc game would have a 120hz option.
I’ve not had a game that does not support 120Hz in a very long time. I might just be lucky. This is an odd one. You can usually get a free trial of XBox Game Pass Ultimate, try Gears 5.

Jun 27, 2021
I’ve not had a game that does not support 120Hz in a very long time. I might just be lucky. This is an odd one. You can usually get a free trial of XBox Game Pass Ultimate, try Gears 5.
I could be wrong, It’s hard To get a straight answer when half the results I get are in regards to the next gen consoles even though I specified”do all PC games support 120hz”. I do have game pass, i was trying to check it on halo infinite but it just keeps crashing, I’ll have to find something else to download and try it later.witcher 3 is capped at 60 so Im assuming that’s reading my display as 60hz.

Mcfckyle91

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
Run a game in steam literally almost anything of popularity. Activate the FPS counter and turn VSync on to see what the FPS caps at. This will cap frames at your monitors refresh rate. I wouldn't recommend using VSync in the long run unless you get screen tearing which I've not seen for a very very long time. This will however determine if the pc//monitor is in fact running at 60Hz or 120Hz and rule out a false reading.