Pc gaming vs Xbox

Solution
Whatever fits your budget, but the One is the latest version and thus has higher quality graphics and supports the new games being released.

The 360s still have tons of games out there though, and if buying a used one, you can get quite a deal on it and the games and have a great time.

Geekwad

Admirable
Whatever fits your budget, but the One is the latest version and thus has higher quality graphics and supports the new games being released.

The 360s still have tons of games out there though, and if buying a used one, you can get quite a deal on it and the games and have a great time.

Solution

rwoody

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015
Even though you have already chosen your answer, I would like to throw my two cents in...
There is more to the debate besides cost of each unit. I had been primarily a console gamer my whole life (30+ years) up until last year. After some careful consideration, I made the decision to become a PC gamer exclusively. I'm not getting rid of my Xbox, but I won't be purchasing any more games or consoles in the future. Instead I chose to build a gaming PC.

The reasons I made this decision had little to do with the overall experience when it comes to graphical quality. Both consoles and PC's can look amazing on their respective displays. Instead I chose PC over consoles for their versatility and upgradability.

Games
With a console, you can only play console games, and only the games designed for that specific console. If you want to play a game that is exclusive to another console, tough luck. With PC games, you simply have to have enough performance under the hood to play the game. Any gaming PC designed to play the current gen of games will have no problem with this.

Game Cost
On consoles, (for the current gen) you typically must pay full price (or close to full price) for any games, unless you wait months later for the game to drop in price. With PC, you can often find new games on sale through game clients like Steam right after release. While I always recommend supporting the developers, there is always the option to torrent and get the game for free. I often do this to simply try out the game before I buy, ensuring that I like the game and that it can run well on my PC. If I want to play it further, I buy it. With console games, once you tear open that cellophane wrapping, the game is yours unless you want to sell it to Gamestop for considerably less than you paid for it only a day prior. With clients like Steam, there actually is a return period for purchased games. Often times, you can find hundreds of games for less than $5 during sales, and you can save even more when you purchase bundles of games. In addition, you have access to hundreds more indie games, and you can get in on Betas for new games. Not even Xbox is doing that anymore.

Flexibility
With consoles, you can only play games that came out for that system, so if you want to play games from an earlier console, you've got to have the other console on your shelf as well. For a long time gamer, this could mean a dozen or more consoles and controllers on your shelves. With PC gaming, you can install all of your games onto your PC and launch any of them from one place, no matter how old they are, and use one controller (or KB&M) to play all of them.

Cheats
Want to use cheats? Some console games have cheats built in, but many don't. With PC games, you get the built in cheats, plus any custom cheat consoles or trainers that were developed along side the game by players like you. Want to mod your console game? Good luck. Modding is so commonplace in the PC world, that you basically get two games for one-the retail version, and then all of the mods that completely change the experience.

Storage
Got a shelf with your console and all the game discs collecting dust? What about for multiple consoles? With PC, (if you even have a disc) you install the game to the computer and potentially never touch the disc again. With online game clients, you never had a disc to begin with, so no shelf space is needed for all those games. Running out of hard drive space? With the Xbox One you can purchase an additional hard drive to sit outside your console (another dust collector). Or with PC you could just add another internal hard drive to your setup without increasing the footprint at all. In addition, PC (internal) hard drives are considerably cheaper than external drives designed for use with consoles.

Performance
Load times, especially in open world games can be frustrating. With consoles, there's nothing you can do but go make some popcorn and wait. With PC, the addition of an SSD can shorten those load times considerably.

Upgrades
Want to play the latest games in a few years? With consoles, you simply have to cough up the cash for a new system to keep up with the times, again adding another dust collector to your shelves. With PC, simply upgrade the part that needs a boost and you're back playing the latest games while keeping your setup clean.

These are just a few of the many reasons why I made the switch. There's so much more to consider besides just the price of a console versus the price of a gaming PC.

TRENDING THREADS