[SOLVED] PC gave no signal, now has no fan spin.

SocialJustice

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2015
A few days ago I moved my PC into a new case after having taking it apart due to spilling water on it. The motherboard managed to survive after allowing it to dry for a over a week and after reassembling it in its new case it worked fine. I have been using it after for just under a week until today when it got no signal after I turned the screen off(still had fan spin however). I tried to turn the computer off from the power button but that didn't work, so I turned it off from the PSU. since then I've been unable to get any fan spin (all of the LED on the motherboard works fine however).

I have tried a number of things to get it to work again; trying a new power button, a new PSU, unplugging everything that isn't required (Only the CPU and cooling system is plugged in), replaced the CMOS battery, used a screw driver to short the power pins for the button. all of them have failed.

Part List:
Case: Be Quiet Pro 900
motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
PSU: 750 W TX750M Gold
RAM: Corsair RGB 16GB (x4)
Graphic Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 VENTUS 2X

If anyone has any suggestions I'm pretty desperate to get this working again, any other possible solutions or to help diagnose the issue would be greatly appreciated. I don't have the money to buy a new motherboard so buying a new one isn't a option for me currently.

Solution
You could look into your motherboard manual, page 3-4, chapter 3, section 3.5 - CrashFree BIOS 3. See if you can reflash the BIOS with the latest version. It could very well be a corrupt BIOS.

I've used my Old PSU
Same unit as listed above only older?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? Might want to try and source(borrow) a similar PSU with similar wattage from your friend or neighbor and see if your system fires back up again.

a new PSU
What PSU did you source?

You could try and take your processor over to a known working motherboard and see if the issue persists. Bring over a known working processor onto your motherboard and see if it fires back up.

Reactions: CompuGuy71

SocialJustice

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2015
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build? Might want to try and source(borrow) a similar PSU with similar wattage from your friend or neighbor and see if your system fires back up again.

a new PSU
What PSU did you source?

You could try and take your processor over to a known working motherboard and see if the issue persists. Bring over a known working processor onto your motherboard and see if it fires back up.

I bought the PSU a few months ago, but I've just started using it this week. I've used my Old PSU and it makes no difference.
I don't have another board or processor of the same slot to test with.

SocialJustice

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2015
You could look into your motherboard manual, page 3-4, chapter 3, section 3.5 - CrashFree BIOS 3. See if you can reflash the BIOS with the latest version. It could very well be a corrupt BIOS.

I've used my Old PSU
Same unit as listed above only older?
I tried flashing it with my USB stick, I got the three flashes in the USB slot to indicate it detects it, but I dont get anything on the screen. I did see the Q-code blink red once at some point, but apart from that nothing has happened. the other PSU is a Corsair 650 bronze certificate, but I only used that AFTER I had issues so it isn't the cause.

SocialJustice

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2015
Update: my computer has just turned itself on and is now booting, without me doing anything. I have no idea what the issue was, it seems leaving it on for a few hours fixed itself somehow. its possible that flashing it fixed it somehow, or that it was some kind of power surge feature. apologies if someone is reading this to resolve their own issue, but maybe the suggestions of @lutfj can be useful. I'm going to mark the Flashing as the best idea as I can only assume it took two hours to do and that's why it automatically booted.

Reactions: Lutfij

Lutfij

Titan
Patience is actually key with regards to flashing the BIOS. A couple of YouTuber's were impatient and then ended up with bricked boards. That doesn't mean you leave the PC on flashing mode for an entire day...but a bad pen dive can make a mess of things, as Kyle on BitWit ended up admitting during his BIOS flash endeavors.

SocialJustice

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2015
Update again: After leaving my PC on sleep mode over night I got the issue again, it refuses to wake from sleep mode and the only way to turn it off was from turning off from the psu. I am again unable to turn my PC on. The issue seems to be that something to do with that instead. since I tried to use a motherboard to short the power button previous to no results, it isn't an issue of my computer not taking any input.

I tested that my computer would boot/shutdown last night after it started working, so there is a good chance something to do with sleep has triggered this.

I'll check my software to see if I've allowed devices to wake it from boot, but considering that holding down the power button didn't do anything (when it normally would) I'm unsure what the issue is exactly.

Should I continue this thread and rename it ("Computer refuses to turn off, turned off from PSU, refuses to turn on, powers itself on randomly, refuses to wake from sleep, refuses to wake again" or something like this) or make a new thread?

EDIT: The computer remains on during shutdown, meaning the only way I can actually shut it down is from turning it off from the power. looking it up briefly I can see that it has something to do with graphic drivers or power options. I thought flashing the bios worked, but it seems it will start booting up when it feels like it I've had to wait less then an hour since then, and waited over night and it didn't work. I'll return to this thread if I fix the issue. this might have something to do with the 3060 since I've recently bought it and installed it into my computer.

Last edited: