Question PC glitches out when playing games and I think it might be the gpu

Jun 1, 2019
Please help me I don't want to ended up spending 1k+ on another gpu and have it not being the fix I needed

View: https://imgur.com/a/DHRYIbt
photo of the problem

this has been happening for a while and I'm close of reaching the point of just buying another gpu

I've had this gpu for only 2years and didn't want to replace it so soon...

what I wanted to know is if the problem is the gpu or the motherboard

this glitch happened but I could still hear the game and after a bit I got out of the game without the pc turning off so I don't think it's a psu problem

cpu is also fine because I also tried download a stresstest for it and left it there for a good while, nothing occurred

there are times where I can push my gpu to 99% and nothing happens or times where the gpu is at 60% and this happens, It isn't because of heating because it never goes beyond 80ºc

there are times where the gpu can handle benchmarks well without a hitch and others where this happens

I also don't think its a driver problem because I just reset my pc to factory settings and when I went to update my gpu drivers it said I already had the newest one

edit: forgot to say I do not have another pc to test the parts out

specs:

intel® Core I7 6700K 4,0 GHZ, 8MB Cache, LGA 1151 (Skylake)

cpu cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

MSI GEFORCE® GTX 1080 TI GAMING X 11G

Disc SATA 1TB 3,5” SEAGATE 7.2K 64MB –ST1000DM010

SSD 850 EVO SAMSUNG- MZ-75E500B/EU SSD 500GB SATA 3 Serie 850 EVO – Basic

Adapter SSD 2,5/3,5”

MB GIGABYTE Z270 SCKT1151 4XDDR4/1HDMI/1DVI-D/USB-C - Z270-Gaming K3

PSU ATX Urano VX 650W-Silent NOX

Wind.10 Home

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I've never heard of this power supply brand before. Is this a high-quality unit we can easily trust ? Anyways, it looks like your GPU might be faulty, maybe some VRAM issue, because from the screen which you have just posted, those artifacts look like a sign of a failing video card, IMO.

In this case, it's not. It's an ancient, group-regulated PSU that uses some pretty dire capacitors (JunFu, IIRC). The computer component markets in Spain and Portugal are flooded with mediocre Nox and Tacens PSUs. It's definitely quite odd to trust a 1080 Ti to one!

They're also known to play some shenanigans. The name brought back the memory of Nox playing bait-and-switch with a reviewer. For a Nox Urano TX850 review, they sent the reviewer one with a better platform than they sold at retail.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?14872-New-Nox-Urano-VX-80-Plus-Bronze/page4

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
I've never heard of this power supply brand before. Is this a high-quality unit we can easily trust ? Anyways, it looks like your GPU might be faulty, maybe some VRAM issue, because from the screen which you have just posted, those artifacts look like a sign of a failing video card, IMO.

I agree , not the greatest PSU's , but most likely a GPU issue.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I think it's the GPU too. But once you resolve the issue, you really should not be using a high-end GPU with a mediocre power supply. It's like having a Ferrari and then fixing the brakes with duct tape.

Artifacting tends to be failing VRAM, which is almost always fatal. MSI's standard warranty length for GPUs is three years, so you ought to still be eligible for an RMA (all MSI 1080 Tis should as the 1080 Ti didn't debut until 3/17).

Jun 1, 2019
I'm sorry I said the gpu was from msi but it's from gigabyte, so If I can't get warrenty I need to replace it right? would it be a good idea to just go for an 2080ti since I might aswell upgrade if I need to replace it
also if it's not too much trouble could you recommend me a good psu for a 2080ti?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Gigabyte also supports their GPUs for three years. You should contact them immediately.

What resolution are you playing at? A 1080 Ti remains a top-of-the-line GPU; I wouldn't want to push you towards an upgrade unless you got something out of it.

PSUs, there are standard recommendations: EVGA G2/G3/GS/P2/T2, Corsair RMx/Hx/Ax, SeaSonic Focus/Prime. Some others too, but these are the most encountered brands.

Jun 1, 2019
Thank you very much! You two have been really awesome, tomorrow I'll contact him about the 2080ti and the psu.
This is my first time replacing my gpu, what should I do with it?

In this case, it's not. It's an ancient, group-regulated PSU that uses some pretty dire capacitors (JunFu, IIRC). The computer component markets in Spain and Portugal are flooded with mediocre Nox and Tacens PSUs. It's definitely quite odd to trust a 1080 Ti to one!

They're also known to play some shenanigans. The name brought back the memory of Nox playing bait-and-switch with a reviewer. For a Nox Urano TX850 review, they sent the reviewer one with a better platform than they sold at retail.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?14872-New-Nox-Urano-VX-80-Plus-Bronze/page4

Thanks for the heads-up. That was really helpful.

I agree , not the greatest PSU's , but most likely a GPU issue.

Okay...Thanks...