Question Pc hangs, freezes only on gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jamesmak

Reputable
Jan 19, 2018
Hello, I have problems with my pc which started a couple days ago whilist gaming. The pc runs fine the first 1 or 2 games and then freezes on black screen or restarts itself, without a BSOD just right back to post. I tried replicating the problem with memtest, prime95, furmark and occt (for monitoring) to see if hardware is involved in this problem. memtest prime and furmark all run together and the pc didnt hang or freeze one time. I uninstalled with ddu my gpu's driver and reinstalled it, windows are fully updated, and I don't know what the problem is. Looking at the event viewer after the crash I see event id: 41 The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. The psu seems to be running fine, I did install a new AIO and thinking that maybe the wiring caused the problem I doubled checked them and reseated them, I run both chkdsk and sfc /sacnnow (returned with corrupted files and fixed them), but the problem continues. Any ideas?

System Specifications:

Mobo: GIGABYTE H110M ds2 rev1
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER
PSU: CORSAIR rx 1000
CPU: INTEL i5 6400 2.7 Ghz
RAM: TRIDENT Z 1066mhz 8gb
SATA1: KINGSTON ssd
SATA2: TOSHIBA hdd

Last edited:

jamesmak

Reputable
Jan 19, 2018
Sorry for the late response in that post and for digging up a july question. I fixed the problem, it was a riser cable I had installed on my gpu, probably it malfuctioned and now the problem seems resovled, thank you for your time