[SOLVED] PC Hangs up during gaming and CPU stress test, no overclock, normal temp indications

Nov 20, 2018
Hello, I built my first PC about 2 months ago. Recently, it has been having a few issues. I noticed when I was playing games that it would lock up/hang up/freeze. This would happen more and more often, and then the frequency would slow down when I turned it off for a while. I figured that it was an overheating issue, but when I monitored the cpu and gpu temps they were well within the allowable ranges.

My next move was a cpu stress test and there it was - the system hangs up within 30 seconds of start every time. I can't get it through a full bench/stress test. What is strange to me is that I have not done any overclocking or really changed any tuning from factory, and again the temps never gets a chance to break 50c in the test. So my system consistently hangs up with a high cpu load, normal temps, and no overclock. My cpu is an i5-8600k. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

Solution
Use Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer to look for error codes and warnings just before or at the time of the hangups.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe your system. First without gaming and then observe while gaming.

Very likely to spot some bottleneck or other issue.

Ralston18

Titan
Use Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer to look for error codes and warnings just before or at the time of the hangups.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe your system. First without gaming and then observe while gaming.

Very likely to spot some bottleneck or other issue.

Solution