Question PC hard freezing/hanging after swapping PSU

icemaker15

Reputable
Jan 15, 2019
Today i replaced my old psu to corsair rm850e and suddenly my pc started to hard freeze/hang after i play any game for more than like 15 minutes. I have to restart the PC with restart button on the case because the screen is completely frozen but i can still hear sounds. Nothing is shown in event viewer just kernel-power id 41 caused by restarting the system. What should i do?

icemaker15

Reputable
Jan 15, 2019
PC keeps deadlocking/freezing while gaming

I have a 1080ti, ryzen 5 3500x, 16gb ram, corsair 850W gold psu. My pc keeps freezing mostly when im playing when im playing demanding games but even when im playing rocket league or csgo. Ive done some stress tests and benchmark such as powermax, furmark, etc. CPU is hitting close to 80C and GPU 70C both under 100% load. I have tested different psu but freezes didnt go away. Id be thankful for any suggestions.

stick to one thread

Last edited by a moderator:

icemaker15

Reputable
Jan 15, 2019
I have a 1080ti, ryzen 5 3500x, 16gb ram, corsair 850W gold psu. My pc keeps freezing mostly when im playing when im playing demanding games but even when im playing rocket league or csgo. Ive done some stress tests and benchmark such as powermax, furmark, etc. CPU is hitting close to 80C and GPU 70C both under 100% load. I have tested different psu but freezes didnt go away. Id be thankful for any suggestions.

Ralston18

Titan
Also look in Reliability History.

Much more user friendly and the timeline format may prove revealing.

Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to observe system performance while gaming.

Just one tool at a time and be consistent with your testing. Watch for what system resources are being used, to what extent ( %), and what is using any given resource.

Especially just before or at the time of a freeze or hang-up.

= = = =

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of tolerance may be a clue.

= = = =

How did you reset CMOS? Did you follow the procedure in the motherboard's User Guide/Manual?

** questions **

You were not having this problem before the original PSU swap, correct?

What is the mfg. and model of your motherboard?

What is the current BIOS version of your motherboard?

What is the mfg. and model of your storage (HDD/SDD)?

** specs **

AMD Ryzen 5 3500X / 16GB DDR4 / Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti / Corsair RM850e 850W PSU /

** problem **

"Hard freeze/hang after i play any game for more than like 15 minutes"

** notes **

Excluding design and manufacturing defects, random reboots have 1 of 3 causes: (1) power, (2) heat or (3) software (inc bios/firmware).

PSU problems usually cause reboots, and sometimes shutoffs but I've never heard of freezing.

Overheating CPU would cause system reboot, not freezing.

Last edited: