[SOLVED] PC hard locking while in games, and other issues.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 24, 2020
Back story.

I have an ssd for my C drive, Windows 10 and a few programs & games on the ssd. Some programs and games go on my E drive 1TB HDD along with all my storage.

Over the course of the last 6 months, I have experienced hard locking, mostly when I am in a game, sometimes if I have a game open and I've switched to working in another program, sometimes when a game isn't even running and I was working with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, working with posters and pictures. I thought when I had upgraded to an 8gb video card before this, 16gb ram, I should be able to handle anything.

I have wiped the ssd, reinstalled windows and have a very fresh system with Radeon driver installed with the AMD app, with only 1 game installed. Still hard locked, it just freezes 5 or 10 mins into the game, picture still on the screen, mouse and keyboard locked, no crash dump info, no error window, no blue screen, just freezes, forcing me to do a hard reset.

I upgraded my PSU to a Gold Rated Gigabyte G750H just before Christmas. Still hardlocking when I try to play Anno 1800, Two Point Hospital, Transport Fever2, but all other instances outside gaming seem to have been solved, and I'm able to play Factorio without anything happening.

Added Issue

I asked for help from Anno 1800 tech because once I'm in the start menu, it won't load a save or a new game, just endlessly stays loading. They asked me to do a DISM restore health and a sfc scannow, my PC said it was able to repair some corrupt files and told me to restart, when I did, my computer wouldn't load. It just stayed stuck on the loading screen with the owner avatar and the endless spinning circle, but my screen would flick off for about 5 sec and back on for less than a second repeatedly. I even left it for 4 hours to see if it would finally load, but nothing worked. A hard reset wouldn't work, only a 10 sec power button hold would turn it off, and I could get to troubleshooting. Eventually, I reinstalled windows, again. Tried the dism and scannow on a fresh windows install with nothing else installed and it did the same thing, wouldn't load, screen flashing on and off. They told me it was a Windows issue, which is why I'm posting this thread here. So I am basically stuck there. I can run Factorio, and all my other programs. Transport Fever 2 has a benchmark tool and says I should run on ultra settings but hard locks after 10 mins on high or medium settings, not even ultra. No other games run for long before hard locking.

Here is my Speccy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/mUgAvUtm5FsOT3SYmTobdrH
I have a screenshot of Radeon app showing driver is up to date but I don't see a way to attach files.

Please help!!!

Solution
did you ever check if the memory you are using is listed as "compatible" with this specific AMD processor and this specific ASUS motherboard?
AMD should have a list provided on their product info page and ASUS should have a "qualified vendor list" or something similar to download and view.

the newer lines of AMD CPUs have been known to be very picky about what RAM they will function well, or at all, with.

if they are not listed as compatible for both products, i would definitely purchase a new dual-channel set that is.
did you ever check if the memory you are using is listed as "compatible" with this specific AMD processor and this specific ASUS motherboard?
AMD should have a list provided on their product info page and ASUS should have a "qualified vendor list" or something similar to download and view.

the newer lines of AMD CPUs have been known to be very picky about what RAM they will function well, or at all, with.

if they are not listed as compatible for both products, i would definitely purchase a new dual-channel set that is.

Solution
Feb 24, 2020
The problem here lies in your inference of my words. I did not imply that you were a windows pro, I have dealt with windows pros, and they, along with the rest of the world, haven't heard of my issue, and that is what I said.

If - as in this case - the OP refuse

I explained that I didn't REFUSE anything, or throw claims. My words were clear. I even quoted my words " I will do so." I only wanted more detailed instructions. How can you infer "Refusal" from those words and 6 days of doing as asked, and reporting???

Maybe someone else can step in and read this thread and point to where I was so ungrateful and stoic in my refusal to follow instructions.

Feb 24, 2020
did you ever check if the memory you are using

Motherboard - AMD Prime 350M-A

CPU - Ryzen 3 2200g - validated since Bios version 3203. I have bios version 5220
RAM - G.Skill 8Gb DS - Not on the list, Kingston 8Gb SS - Not on the list
GPU - ATI Radeon RX Vega 56 - Not on List, there was only 12 AMD GPUs on the list, wtf?
PSU - Gigabyte G750H - No Gigabyte products on the list??? But #1 on Ryzen's 'Gigabyte' list, Come on man!!! ASUS dropping on my rankings fast. Website is horrible, AMD had hundreds of PSUs listed, ASUS had 45, so I don't trust anything not being on this entire list.
I thought I'd check disc drives - Samsung SSD 860 EVO - Not on list, but 750,840,850 EVO are so what the hell does that mean? other 2 drives weren't on list either.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 3 2200g

RAM - G.Skill 8Gb DS - Not on the list, Kingston 8Gb SS - Not on the list
GPU - ATI Radeon RX Vega 56 - 10 rating on AMD list, well over 1000 GPUs on AMD site. I'm confused about ASUS.
PSU - Gigabyte G750H - 9.1 rating on AMD list
Drives - Samsung SSD 860 EVO - Not on the list but 750,840,850 EVO are.

I looked up my Seagate HDD I use for onboard storage and it wasn't on either site, but my very old, crappy, Hitachi 750Gb laptop HDD, I kept and bought a crappy usb case for, and I only keep movies and tv series on, is listed on AMD's site.

What does it all mean?
Like I've mentioned, I'm thinking of I will definitely be upgrading my MB and CPU, are these device support lists accurate? Important? I would assume they are important, and hopeful they'd be accurate, but I question both after this adventure.
Do custom rig builders rely on these support lists? I've replaced everything but MBs and CPUs many times, and I will never rely on info from my local computer shop guy or Memory Express guys again when purchasing any hardware. Are there any good online guides for replacing MBs and CPUs? I will/would look myself but why not ask if anyone recommends something they use themselves and are happy with?