PC has emotional switch-off crisis

ryanj252

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Hey Guys

I've seen this problem appear alot lately but from what I've read, no one seems to have a proper hand on the solution.

What's happening, is that my machine has started switching off by itself (like someone pulled the plug) after 3 years of perfection. It does this randomly, during my editing sessions, while gaming, while logging on, while still restarting. It just cuts out and then after like 2 seconds, it starts up again. It gives no error upon log on.

My Diagnosis so far:
- I know that its not an overheating issue, I've run prime95 for 30min with no errors. CPU's peaked at 58deg Celcius with no freezing, BSOD or switch off.
- It cant be memory. I edit large Full HD files and pre-render footage with no errors.
- It cant be my GPU either because I can still do gaming, watch hi res videos, edit in PS and AE with GPU performance enabled and so on.
- It cannot be the OS either, because the switch-off sometimes happens before the Windows loading screen.
- There's no bulging capacitors either, I've checked. Aswell as spring-cleaned my chassis and parts from all dust.

Oh yes, forgot to add that I also already turned off Automatic Restart under "System Failure"

I've narrowed it down to some weird virus, the PSU, or (and I hope not) something BIOS related. But even if it IS the PSU...why is it so random? I could go for days with no switch-off, and then suddenly 5 switch off's in one hour.

Please if you know of any possible solution - Share it with me.

My Specs:
Intel i5 2500 Quad Core 3.30Ghz - (Cooled with Coolermaster Hyper TX3 RR-910)
P8H67-M EVO Rev-B3
G.Skill Ripjaw 2x 4Gb DDR3 1600Mhz (Running at 1333Mhz)
nVidia Geforce GTX 260 GDDR3 448bit
2x WD 500Gb Sata 6Gb HDD
1x Seagate Barracuda 1Tb 6Gb HDD
Cooler Master 550W 12V PSU

Solution
It could be the PSU can you check the voltages of the PSU rails while booted?
Could you do as I have said in another post? I ave quoted it below.
Please report back with those readings.

ryanj252

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

Checked in the BIOS that the board comes with Anti-Surge Protection. I dont have a UPS installed either.
I know that will fix the switching off problem. But it will still annoy me not knowing exactly what was causing the problem in the first place.

thenh813

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2013
It could be the PSU can you check the voltages of the PSU rails while booted?
Could you do as I have said in another post? I ave quoted it below.
Please report back with those readings.

Solution

thenh813

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2013
For a MB: Asrock or Gigabyte. Intel is very stable also, but has less BIOS features.
For a PSU, I would recommend Corsair, Seasonic, Antec or Rosewills's higher end models (Rosewill dosent have the best low end models).

ryanj252

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

For a PSU, I would recommend Corsair, Seasonic, Antec or Rosewills's higher end models (Rosewill dosent have the best low end models).[/quotemsg]

Hey Guys so my PC is running perfectly now. Replaced the H67 motherboard with a H61 and everything is fine. Strangely though, i had the damaged H67 motherboard replaced with a H67 new one and when I tried fitting the new H67 mobo, the same switching off problem occurred. So...i have no idea what now.

thenh813

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2013
Hmmm... I think that the board might have been shorting to something from the looks of it. Odd indeed. At least it is fixed now. I am assuming that you used the standoffs on the H67. You did, right? It is definitely not the PSU if it works perfect with a similar board series and was installed correctly.