[SOLVED] PC high temps both idle and while gaming

Jun 10, 2020
Hello, so I recently swapped out my Cryorig H7 quad lumi air cooler for a Cryorig A40 water cooler. While it gave me a headache to install (mainly because i never dealt with pc parts before) it was doing just fine with temps. I even stress tested and the highest it went to was 71 C on the cpu side so i know for a fact it doesnt have to do with the thermal paste or anything. A day later i installed two rgb fans that i ordered from amazon (i believe they are called Pccooler halo rgb fans 3 pack) into the case and im not sure if i connected the headers in the wrong place or what but my pc has been reaching temps of 76C on the GPU and 75 ish C on the CPU ever since. I have no idea what I did wrong and im losing my mind with this damn pc. Its currently 81 degrees Fahrenheit in my apartment so im not sure if thats what is causing the insanely high temps. I should also mention that my pc keeps completely crashing and making a high annoying buzzing sound as if something is breaking like 10 mins after i start gaming or using the pc, which causes me to have to hard boot it off.
Rig:
Rtx 2070 Zotac Extreme AMP
MSI z390 gaming edge AC
i5 9600k (overclocked to 4.3ghz i had no problem with overclocking prior to installing these fans and new cpu cooler so that is not the problem)
Team force 16 gigs of ram
650 watt power supply
Cryorig A40 cpu cooler
Intel 660p 512gb SSD
1TB HDD
H500 NZXT case

Please let me know if i can provide any more info that can help determine the issue, im not too knowledgeable about pc parts so i know i must have done something to mess up the system.

Solution
Let's see here...
Yep, you've got way too much exhaust: top, rear, and front.

All you have to do here is remove the radiator fans, 180 them, and reinstall them - done.
By 180, I mean just flip the fans around.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Sounds like you have at least 2 different issues

1. unstable overclock
  2. the replacement fans aren't as good as the original ones and therefore don't cool as well
If you 'had no issues' before the the new fans, a few degrees Celcius (4C?) change wouldn't cause terrible crashes...it would likely take higher temps to see temps negatively impact stability. There is something else going on. Tjunc for that CPU is 100C

Reactions: morettim1
Jun 10, 2020
I think he wants to see inside of you computer lol not the temps. When you installed the AIO did you make sure to plug the Fan component into the PUMP FAN Header instead of CPU FAN?
oh sorry lol, i initially plug it into the cpu fan header because i didnt know the difference but just before i posted this i replugged it to the pump fan header. As for the other two fans, they are plugged into sys_fan headers.

Jun 10, 2020
Update: So i did some digging and i think the culprit might be the way i placed the fans. I think im causing too muchg positive pressure and it may not be allowing for proper airflow but im not sure yet

Ferimer

Distinguished
ALright just so you do know you can plug the RGB part of the fans (for the RGB fans sorry not the RAD fans) into the JRGB on your Motherboard, which gives you the colour scheme to control it. The new fans you have given that is the one at the top and the rear, need to be set up for exhaust and the RAd fans should be set up for Intake. Given the way you have it set up. Also you have 4 fans. Ideally it should be a neutral pressure. 2 for exhaust (rear and top) make the rad fans intake and that should solve your poblem

Last edited:
Reactions: morettim1
Jun 10, 2020
Alright, after making the suggested changes of turning the radiator fans around for intake it seems that my temp issues are solved (dropped from the 70s C while gaming to high 50s C). Thank you everyone for the replies and the patience i will take this as a learning lesson for the next time, i appreciate your assistance.

Reactions: Ferimer

Ferimer

Distinguished
Alright, after making the suggested changes of turning the radiator fans around for intake it seems that my temp issues are solved (dropped from the 70s C while gaming to high 50s C). Thank you everyone for the replies and the patience i will take this as a learning lesson for the next time, i appreciate your assistance.
Glad we could all help, dont ever think any question is too stupid to ask. These forums were built for those that need help no matter their experience with tech