PC INSTANTLY TURNS OFF (not over heating)

grant.alarid

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017
My PC has been instantly turning off all of a sudden. PC has been working flawlessly for 6 months since i got a new water cooler. All temps are normal when idle (CPU-30s GPU - 50s) and under load (CPU- 45-50 GPU- 70-75)

Total crashes - 3
2 - under load playing Arma 2: DayZ mod
1- watching youtube.

Every thing has been cleaned properly. all cables are permanently in place, and no i didn’t just bump a cable from my wall. One crash has been where the PC is technically on but monitors don’t respond, keyboard and mouse RGB is on and pc wouldn’t let me turn it off. Had to cut power from it by turning the power supply switch off.

specs
NZXT S340
ASUS STRIX B350F
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3200
AMD Ryzen 1600 OC 3.9 GHZ
Hydro Series™ H110i GT 280mm
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Corsair CX Series CX750M 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze ATX
WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM

Solution

Replacing the PSU. Even if it turns out to not be the cause of the crashing, the burning smell supercedes all other existing issues. If you smell burning from your PSU, that PSU shouldn't ever even be plugged in again.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If temperatures are fine, the next thing to look at is the PSU.

However, I won't wager a guess without knowing anything about the PC. To get less-vague answers, your exact specs, including specific PSU, would be very helpful to anyone participating in this thread.

grant.alarid

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

NZXT S340
ASUS STRIX B350F
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3200
AMD Ryzen 1600 OC 3.9 GHZ
Hydro Series™ H110i GT 280mm
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Corsair CX Series CX750M 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze ATX
WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM

mayaruth04

Proper
Apr 14, 2018
This sounds like a graphics problem. Make sure your graphic drivers are updated. Go to device manager and click display adapters. Right click it and update driver. If it says updates are already installed then go to nvidia website and install the latest driver.

grant.alarid

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

All drivers are updated, and i just found out that there is a some sort of burning smell that isn’t very strong but definitely from the PC. My first suggestion would be the PSU, it’s the oldest component in the rig.

grant.alarid

Prominent
Dec 26, 2017

what would be my first plan of action then

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Replacing the PSU. Even if it turns out to not be the cause of the crashing, the burning smell supercedes all other existing issues. If you smell burning from your PSU, that PSU shouldn't ever even be plugged in again.

Solution