Question PC is crashing after installing GPU ?

Jul 17, 2022
Hi, I am using a budget pc. I use it for gaming as well.

Previously there was no gpu installed but the games were giving me fps drop so I figured to get a gpu to install it.

We connected the vga cable directly to the gpu instead of the motherboard.

At first the pc was still able to google, facebook, however when we load a game it crashes or hangs.

Then researched on the possible issue, we tweaked it (disabled the AMD driver) the pc started crashing.

There were no conflicts or issues with the driver.

Please help.

PC: AMD A8-7600
RAM: 8GB
Power Supply: AK600W 600W 80+ Bronze
GPU: MSI GTX 750ti

Jul 17, 2022
If that PSU really delivers what the label said, then it shouldn't be the issue.

Im guessing this is a second hand GTX 750 ti?, Where you able to see it working and playing games before paying for it ?

Did you downloaded the lastest drivers from nvidia (I believe is this one: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/190552/en-us/)?

Thank you for your reply!!

The PSU is brand new
Yes, the GPU is second hand, but the seller has sent video on FunMark to test it and it was working.

Is it advisable to reformat the computer?

Also, for the NVIDIA driver is it advisable to uninstall and reinstall again?

because there was a nvidia driver installed in the PC so I only connected the vga directly to gpu to monitor.

Installed gpu z and it showed the gtx as graphics driver. In task manager there were two gpu before disabling AMD.

Thanks again.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021

The PSU is brand new
Yes, the GPU is second hand, but the seller has sent video on FunMark to test it and it was working.

do you have another pc to test if the gpu is working properly. Or perhaps have a friend who have a pc where the gpu can be tested? It's better to do this, to be sure that the gpu is fine.

Reactions: KyaraM

The PSU is brand new

Is it advisable to reformat the computer?

Also, for the NVIDIA driver is it advisable to uninstall and reinstall again?

because there was a nvidia driver installed in the PC so I only connected the vga directly to gpu to monitor.

Installed gpu z and it showed the gtx as graphics driver. In task manager there were two gpu before disabling AMD.

Thanks again.

When installing a new GPU always follow, at least, this steps:

1. download the newest and correct driver from nvidia (in this case, or AMd if it was an AMD gpu) site
  2. download DDU from guru3d (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html)
  3. Run DDU following the instructions
  4. Turn Off the PC
  5. Unplug the PC from the wall power socket
  6. Install the new GPU in the PC
  7. Plug in any PCIe power cable to the GPU (if need it, I believe your card does no need extra power cables)
  8. Plug the video cable coming from your monitor into the new GPU.
  9. Once in Windows 10, install the driver you downloaded from nvidia.

Reactions: Tac 25 and KyaraM
Jul 17, 2022
@RodroX @Tac 25 Thank you for your replies. We did is a complete system restore and reformatted the computer. The PC is working fine after that managed to play games in a decent fps, even GTA. However, this after noon the screen froze when sharing screen in Gmeet or Zoom. It should be the same issue as the graphics card right?

Jul 17, 2022
@bbclle

is your pc having screen freeze before installing the gpu? Or it only happened after you started using the gpu?

No it only started freezing after installing the gpu.
Not sure if its the gpu or the pc itself is old.
Or the ram is not enough.

Because bought in brand new psu and fans with it.

Thanks for your reply!! appreciate it

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
can you elaborate on what kind of "freeze" happened during Gmeet.. did the screen freeze and you had to restart, because nothing moves anymore? Or was it only a few seconds freeze, and the pc kept working after the freeze (no restart needed).

Reactions: RodroX
Jul 17, 2022
can you elaborate on what kind of "freeze" happened during Gmeet.. did the screen freeze and you had to restart, because nothing moves anymore? Or was it only a few seconds freeze, and the pc kept working after the freeze (no restart needed).

It freezes till the computer had to be restarted.
Just this morning it froze mid game. But the fps inside game is about 90-100fps (valorant game)

Checked the RAM:
Installed RAM: 8.00 GB

ran systeminfo.exe and got this:
  • total physical memory: 3528 MB
  • available physical memory: 1687 MB
Could this be the issue?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

alexbirdie

Respectable
PC: AMD A8-7600
RAM: 8GB
Power Supply: AK600W 600W 80+ Bronze
GPU: MSI GTX 750ti
Obviously 4 GB are missing.

I suppose, you have two 4 GB-sticks?

Could it be, that 4 GB are reserved for the builtin GPU of the CPU in the BIOS?

Is the builtin-GPU disabled in BIOS? If no, then do it.

I would suggest to buy at least 2 8 GB-sticks to replace you 4 GB-sticks.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbclle

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
It freezes till the computer had to be restarted.
Just this morning it froze mid game. But the fps inside game is about 90-100fps (valorant game)

Checked the RAM:
Installed RAM: 8.00 GB

ran systeminfo.exe and got this:
Could this be the issue?
Thanks in advance

does Valorant have an option to turn V-Sync on or off? If there is an in game option, turn off V-sync. Then test if the pc would still freeze.

my lga 775 pc is probably just as old as yours, and only has 4GB physical ram installed, but I don't experience freezes in 1080p gaming at 60 fps in Genshin Impact, with graphics settings all at maximum. Just had to turn off V-Sync in game.

__

there's also something wrong with your physical memory. alexbirdie already answered that, so I won't make further suggestion.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbclle and RodroX
Jul 17, 2022
@alexbirdie @Tac 25

Thank you for your suggestions, appreciate it.
For the in-built gpu tried disabling it before the system restore but it was giving black screen when disabled via BIOS. But will try to do it again.

Noted on the 2 8GB RAM sticks, will purchase this and try it again.
Thanks again appreciate your replies! :D

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
@bbclle

you're welcome. Hopefully, your problems will stop.
I'm still on the opinion that there's something wrong with the second hand gpu you purchased. Simply because the crashes and freezing only started happening after you installed it, and not before.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbclle
Jul 17, 2022
@bbclle

you're welcome. Hopefully, your problems will stop.
I'm still on the opinion that there's something wrong with the second hand gpu you purchased. Simply because the crashes and freezing only started happening after you installed it, and not before.

I see but when playing GTA San Andreas (offline) there is no pc freeze.
So right now I am not really sure if its the gpu or ram.