Question PC is not booting to Windows ?

kaidorpheus

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
Hi i have a problem regarding my PC not booting to Windows anymore. At first, when i shutdown my pc it will turn back to the lock screen immediately. Then I force shutdown with the power button. When i boot it again it goesstraight to the BIOS settings. There is no boot priority either in the BIOS settings.

The problem starts when i delete my partition on the other ssd/disk 1 using minitool. My Windows 10 is currently installed in M.2 SSD/ disk 0. I had no idea that removing the partition from disk 1 would affect the boot process even though my Windows is on disk 0. I hope you can help me boot up my pc.

Specs

MBD: Asus Strix B550 A
CPU: Ryzen 5700X
GPU: Asus Radeon Vega 64
RAM: Trident Z 16GB
Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB (Disk 0)
Kingston A400 240gb (Disk 1)
PSU: EVGA 750W G
OS; Windows 10

https://ibb.co/6D3prnP

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I had no idea that removing the partition from disk 1 would affect the boot process even though my Windows is on disk 0. I hope you can help me boot up my pc.
Windows is notorious of putting boot loader onto 2nd drive when installing it in the multi-drive system. E.g OS is on Drive 0 while boot loader is on Drive 1. So, when you remove the Drive 1 or format it, Win won't boot anymore since there is no boot loader anymore.

Hence why, when installing Win, remove all other drives from the system. So, Win has no other choice, than to put the boot loader on the same drive as where the OS is.

As of getting the PC to boot to OS again, new boot loader is needed.
Easiest is formatting OS drive and making clean Win installation, so, new boot loader is created. WHILE having all other drives removed from the drive.

There may be ways to restore the old boot loader, but i don't have enough know-how on how to guide you through it (i'm specialized on hardware issues myself, not software issues). And what makes it worse, is that you already removed the partition where the boot loader was on. So, even with proper guide, you may not be able to fully restore old boot loader, whereby only fix is OS drive format and clean Win installation.