Question PC is not displaying anything after removing RAM and re-inserting it ?

Aug 3, 2024
Hello everybody! Just two days ago or so I wanted to look for some extra ram to buy and tried to search for the exact model number for my current one inside Windows, but didn't get any good results. That was when I decided to take my PC apart and get the RAM out of it, so I could look at the sticker on it. After a bit of a hassle, I managed to get it out. By "hassle", I mean lifting only one side of the RAM out because the other side is stuck, so pushing it back in, then taking my time wiggling it out evenly until I finally got it out. I believe this was because it's a single lock motherboard & that RAM has never been taken out in the last 5+ years.

I used vinyl gloves to take it out and touched only the sides of it. Not sure if this means anything though.
Then I decided to put it back in as it was before and since then the PC stopped working. Took a look at like 2 forum posts, where somebody said to reseat the CPU and clear the CMOS. Did just that, still nothing.
Last thing I did was disconnect my GPU, hard drives & put the RAM into the second slot (as you could see in the video). Monitor and HDMI cables are fine as I'm using them right now with my laptop.

Since I don't have any spare parts or a motherboard speaker, I am going to look for a service/person next week that has them and can test my stuff to conclude what's wrong.
Other than this, I'd be glad to receive and answer any comments regarding the situation, what might've gone wrong or if you notice anything unusual in the video.
https://streamable.com/nzh0ea (video sometimes zooms due to censoring private stuff)

* also now im wondering after reading shortstuff_mt's troubleshooting guide if i pressed the ram back in hard enough, but in the video the little plastic clip of the socket is in the ram, so it should be right, no?

* I haven't tried the eraser method yet, idk if it's worth a try

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Your video shows ram in slot B1, your manual states to have your ram(if using a single stick) in slot A1. Also, what ram are you working with as of this moment? Why not just pick up a dual channel memory kit? Speaking of, what processor do you have in the socket?

Aug 3, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Your video shows ram in slot B1, your manual states to have your ram(if using a single stick) in slot A1. Also, what ram are you working with as of this moment? Why not just pick up a dual channel memory kit? Speaking of, what processor do you have in the socket?
Yes, as I was trying that slot at that moment. We're talking about a 5-year-old pre-built PC right here. That RAM has always been in the A1 slot and has never been taken out until a few days ago. As I mentioned previously, I wanted to get another stick of this because that would've been enough for me. The RAM is exactly this one.
And to answer your last question, I have a Ryzen 5 1600x in there.

Also, before I forget, I did hold the power button for about a minute after plugging the cord, however I did NOT ground myself while taking it apart. Not sure if this matters, as some people say that you should but it's not necessary. So, I'm still confused, because I took my laptop apart with my bare hands and it still works.

Aug 4, 2024
You said you have ryzen 5 1600X then where is your gpu, since that CPU does not have integrated graphics. And if I'm not mistaken then you are plugging your HDMI cable into your motherboard? Also the clip thingy of the RAM does not necessarily mean you seated it probably. Try to push harder at 2 ends of the RAM, last time I have the same display problem due to 1 end of the RAM was slightly loose (although the RGB of the RAM is still on so I thought it was GPU problem). Anyway, if you still can turn on without display then it is just the RAM or the GPU.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2024
You said you have ryzen 5 1600X then where is your gpu, since that CPU does not have integrated graphics. And if I'm not mistaken then you are plugging your HDMI cable into your motherboard? Also the clip thingy of the RAM does not mean you seated it probably. Try to push harder at 2 ends of the RAM, last time I have the same display problem due to 1 end of the RAM was slightly loose (although the RGB of the RAM is still on so I thought it was GPU problem). Anyway, if you still can turn on without display then it is just the RAM or the GPU.
Alright, I will try putting it back all together and pushing the ram until it clicks back. But now I'm kinda scared if I should touch those components, I don't want to damage anything. I don't have an anti-static bracelet. Anything else I could use perhaps? I'll also try brushing the whole MOBO and ram slots.

Aug 4, 2024
Alright, I will try putting it back all together and pushing the ram until it clicks back. But now I'm kinda scared if I should touch those components, I don't want to damage anything. I don't have an anti-static bracelet. Anything else I could use perhaps? I'll also try brushing the whole MOBO and ram slots.
ground your self by touching your metal case works. But I mean if you are barefoot and not standing on a carpet then it is very unlikely to short your component. Also when that happen you can hear a snapping sound or sth. But as I said, very unlikely, I build my own PC without wearing one. Anyway removing your GPU does absolutely nothing so just put it back and try. This time plug the HDMI cable directly to the GPU.

Aug 3, 2024
ground your self by touching your metal case works. But I mean if you are barefoot and not standing on a carpet then it is very unlikely to short your component. Also when that happen you can hear a snapping sound or sth. But as I said, very unlikely, I build my own PC without wearing one. Anyway removing your GPU does absolutely nothing so just put it back and try. This time plug the HDMI cable directly to the GPU.
I previously did everything while standing o na carpet 😢

Aug 3, 2024
Aight well I just took it out, kept touching metal the whole time, brushed both pci-e and ram slots, pushed harder, put it together and now it works. There is a little bit of delay when turning on pc and the monitor catching the signal from hdmi, which wasn't there before, not sure why it's happening rn. Ill just have to stress test it now and check the market later for some better ram.