Question Pc is randomly shutting down

Dec 29, 2019
So I recently built a brand new computer a month ago and all was well for the first 2 weeks but lately I'm getting random shut downs then automatically restarting and I have no idea why. It seems to be completely random, I can go all day playing a game maxed out without issues but then crash when I'm doing nothing on the home screen or it will happen while I'm browsing the web or in a older game or even right after I login after booting.
Cpu and gpu are not overheating, never go past 71c. I have run memtest and no issues were detected, benchmarks without any issue. No overclocks on anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Build
msi b450m mortar max
ryzen 3600
gigabyte windforce rtx 2070
G. skill trident 16gb 3200 (2x8)
600w 80 + gold evga psu

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Hi,

I would have assumed an overheat auto-shutdown but since you have been keeping an eye on the temps I have to assume that isn't the issue.

Have you checked your Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System --- directly after an incident to see if it sheds any light on the issue or provides you with an error code? You can ignore anything flagged as "information" but keep an eye on anything flagged as warning or error.

Dec 29, 2019
Hiya. I'm pretty new to pc so I wasn't aware of that, looking through that I see a bunch of warnings but have no idea what any of them mean. I will take notes of any I see after it happens again.

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Hiya. I'm pretty new to pc so I wasn't aware of that, looking through that I see a bunch of warnings but have no idea what any of them mean. I will take notes of any I see after it happens again.

For what it's worth, even a fully/normally functional PC has a couple warning's and errors occasionally in Event Viewer, so I take anything I find there with a grain of salt. Mostly its a good place to look for error codes so I can google them, where as otherwise a perfectly normally functional PC will still produce some errors/warnings. Microsoft makes life tough on us troubleshooters haha.

Dec 29, 2019
For what it's worth, even a fully/normally functional PC has a couple warning's and errors occasionally in Event Viewer, so I take anything I find there with a grain of salt. Mostly its a good place to look for error codes so I can google them, where as otherwise a perfectly normally functional PC will still produce some errors/warnings. Microsoft makes life tough on us troubleshooters haha.
It's a little worrying to a newbie like me aha. I wish it was something simple like oh the gpu has no signal but nope has to be something obscure. Some days it won't happen at all. I'll post any codes I get here when it happens again in hopes that someone more knowledgeable than me will understand them.

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Ah, now there's another good thing to note if and when it happens again. If you get a bluescreen take a picture of the error code so you don't forget. That way you can post it later along with any Event Viewer records which might hopefully shed further light on your issue.

As to what you just said previously in your last post, AMEN my friend, I wish error report software spoke in such a way that somebody other than a programmer might understand it haha.

Dec 29, 2019
Ah, now there's another good thing to note if and when it happens again. If you get a bluescreen take a picture of the error code so you don't forget. That way you can post it later along with any Event Viewer records which might hopefully shed further light on your issue.

As to what you just said previously in your last post, AMEN my friend, I wish error report software spoke in such a way that somebody other than a programmer might understand it haha.
I've never had a blue screen or anything of the sort. Noticing that my g502 keeps disconnecting and not being detected by the app lately too. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
And that would make things so much easier on newbies like me aha.

Dec 29, 2019
It's just happened again a few minutes after I had closed out a game and was browsing google, a few minutes before hand there are warnings that disks 2-5 have been surprise removed. (I only have a boot ssd and a 2tb storage) Then there is Error "The previous system shutdown at 12:16:43 pm on ‎31/‎12/‎2019 was unexpected." And then a Critical "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
I also noticed that the pc didn't stop, the lights and fans all continued to do their thing but it restarted.

Last edited: