[SOLVED] PC is restarting in loop without any monitor output after CMOS Battery replacement.

Ajayvasanth

Honorable
Dec 17, 2016
Hi friends,
I'm having a DH61BF motherboard with i3 3220 and Asus Phoenix GTX 1050ti powered by a 450w psu.
Things went all great until my PC started showing CMOS battery warning and i saw that warning on my last 10 boots. My Mobo was 5 years old.I could see my dates and times are pretty messed up the last 10 days but it booted without problems and i even played lot of High End games. My PSU is good as i played lot of games for last 6 months.

Suddenly yesterday my PC went black while using and won't turn on.I open the case and saw the GPU and CPU fans are starting but stops and does this in loop without any display output or keyboard and mouse control.
After 4 or 5 boots i can see my keyboard and mouse geting it's lights but screen is still dark.
Plus no error message beeps in my speakers.

I changed the CMOS battery and started it with my GTX 1050TI and it was the same.
I plucked out my graphic card and inserted my old GT 610 and it booted up and worked well.So i guess there is no problem with the pcie port.And i booted without any graphic card and it booted up with igpu and worked great.

I'm worried is that anything caused by the CMOS failure and spoiled my GTX 1050TI?.
I bought it 1 and half year ago and i have warranty for 36 months from the date of my registration in the website as per the regulations.

Help me friends,i did a bois update(009) after battery replacement to make sure things but didn't work out as well.

Does this means my GFX card is faulty or is there any work around.
As i did change my primary GPU to external one in the bois.
I know this sounds obvious but kindly help me 😔.
And should i apply for the warranty of my GPU or its just software problem.

Last edited:
Solution
You mentioned that you have another GPU. Use that or the integrated to do a clean install of windows.
Since it does not display anything it seems that it has somehow been damaged OR it was just a coincidence and it failed on it's own.
Either way, you can RMA since you are under warranty.

Ajayvasanth

Honorable
Dec 17, 2016
Can you test the GPU in another PC?
If you cannot, in order to rule out software problems, do a clean install of windows.
Since you do have warranty, you can RMA to be sure.
Hi, thanks for the reply,
As i cant see anything in the screen with my GTX 1050ti mounted and it won't boot up and stuck in a loop. And very bad thing is i cant even see my motherboard logo during the loop. It's just completely blank.
😔.i dont have another pc to check.
Thanks for your time .✌️

You mentioned that you have another GPU. Use that or the integrated to do a clean install of windows.
Since it does not display anything it seems that it has somehow been damaged OR it was just a coincidence and it failed on it's own.

Reactions: Ajayvasanth
Solution

Ajayvasanth

Honorable
Dec 17, 2016
That's Mr.dotas1,
I thought it was a Mobo/bios problem due to CMOS that failed to match setting for the GPU.Thanks for your suggestions,I'm going to claim the warranty on my GPU hoping everything will be the way it was before .

Peace ✌️.

The purpose of the cmos battery is to preserve bios settings across power off.
When you replaced the battery, your bios was reset to the default.
With an older motherboard, I suspect that there was some setting needed to make the GTX1050ti work.
Modern graphics cards usually need a UEFI bios to work.
I doubt that your card is faulty.
Is there some sort of UEFI support option in your bios?
Likely, there is some setting available to you since the card worked before.
If no joy, I would contact asus support with the issue.

With an older motherboard, I suspect that there was some setting needed to make the GTX1050ti work.
i did a bois update(009) after battery replacement to make sure things but didn't work out as well.
He said he did a BIOS update and it is indeed the latest. That made me think that the BIOS didn't mess things up. But yeah, you are right, he should check BIOS to see if there is an option for UEFI

Ajayvasanth

Honorable
Dec 17, 2016
Hi,I don't know about UEFI, but when u mentioned the word something hit my mind so i installed GT 610 and booted to bios and saw this setting was there and it was enabled.
I don't know to use it.
It would be so much helpful if u tell me what to do further .
Thank You

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GRrKSMs_bklyVmrMFP0YekqHoQ1WQ3tv/view?usp=drivesdk
✌️

Ajayvasanth

Honorable
Dec 17, 2016
Hi,I don't know about UEFI, but when u mentioned the word something hit my mind so i installed GT 610 and booted to bios and saw this setting was there and it was enabled.
I don't know to use it.
It would be so much helpful if u tell me what to do further .
Thank You

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GRrKSMs_bklyVmrMFP0YekqHoQ1WQ3tv/view?usp=drivesdk
Should i need to disable legacy bios boot and just enable UEFI boot?.
Will it kill my bios and won't show logo at all ?

Ajayvasanth

Honorable
Dec 17, 2016
Yes, I think legacy boot may be your issue.
Remember, temporarily powering off and removing the battery will get you reset to default if you make a mistake.
Only enabling UEFI method doesn't work but this time i get a black screen (blank i means it's showing black in the screen) but it's not restarting in loop. And if I'm doing wrong correct me.