Question PC is riddled with different BSODs ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
people are just doing a hard reset on the laptops. the equivalent for a desktop is to just turn off the power. it will force a full reboot.
it would be better to turn off virtual memory to delete the pagefile then doing a full reboot and turn on virtual memory to create a new pagefile.sys.

i was looking at a memory.dmp file. it includes a lot more debug info and internal logs. it generally shows a lot of errors the people do not notice. deleting the pagefile helps since often some of the problems take a long time to actually cause windows to fail.
note: you can make a registry setting to make windows delete the pagefile on shutdown. this helps for some slow memory leaks, also if you do not do this and you fix the problem the leaks will still be there and will be misleading if someone looks at the memory.dmp file. just fyi

hardware installs that do not complete can have strange system symptoms. Cases where windows plug and play detect that some driver is needed for the hardware, tries to install but can not complete, the installer exits, then the whole process starts over again in a endless loop (every second or so). there are conditions that can hang cpu cores and bugcheck the system.

usb can be very screwy with old drivers and updated usb standards updates.

I think the reason people use the disconnect the charger and hold down the power button is because of windows plug and play.
they do not know they should: start cmd.exe as an admin then run
net.exe stop "plug and play"

before they try to update or modify certain drivers. if they don't do this then they uninstall a driver, windows plug and play detects that it needs the driver and reinstalls it 1 second later and they are back to where they started.

windows control panel device manager has a poor User interface, it does not show the version of the drivers when you install. all the drivers for one hardware device might look identical but they are actually different. when you run the driver installer, the new driver is place on the machine but often is not selected as the new driver. I have seen people update intel network drivers without the new driver being selected as the default driver. I generally have people use the pnputil.exe to delete the old .inf files

Last edited:
looked at a second memory dump dated 10/14/24
looks like a problem with totalcmd64.exe
you should remove the program and retest.

edit: looks like the same dump file (internal debug session time was:
Tue Sep 17 16:53:00.983 2024 )

edit: just assumed it was a new file but yes it was the one I looked at before

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2024
looked at a second memory dump dated 10/14/24
looks like a problem with totalcmd64.exe
you should remove the program and retest.

edit: looks like the same dump file (internal debug session time was:
Tue Sep 17 16:53:00.983 2024 )

edit: just assumed it was a new file but yes it was the one I looked at before
There actually was a new Memory.dmp file Windows made October 11th, here it is if you wanted to give that a look as well.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/qwc0lt950wnocn1/MEMORY.7z/file

In the mean time I changed some BIOS settings related to power savings that I could find (ErP mode, HPET, and disabled onboard LAN) and then I activated highest performance mode in power options and made sure no USB device is allowed to go to sleep so we'll see where it goes from here, I guess? There's a lot of BIOS options that I straight up just don't understand even when I Google them but I think most are related to overclocking. I believe I enabled/disabled everything that might be the cause of issues? If there's any specific option you want me to take a look at lemme know.

Right now the most fullproof plan of triggering a BSOD might be yet another Windows reinstallation with drivers so I'll give that a go as well, and this time I'm avoiding Gigabyte for the most part and I'll try to get Realtek's Ethernet drivers directly. My BIOS actually says there's a 2.5Gb driver on it from 2019, that might also be a problem. 🤷‍♂️