PC is running slow

leandrotbh

Reputable
May 8, 2015
My PC has been running quite slow recently: programs not responding then crashing or not closing at all until I reboot. I'm not sure what to do, I will list specs below. I'm currently running a disk check. Also my hard drive is nearly full, could that be the issue?

Intel Pentium G860
Geforce 650ti
8GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

StarChief

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
Open task manager and see if anything is taking up a big portion of the cpu or ram. If it happens to be a program you don't recognize ( You can also google it) means you probably got some sort of virus or malware that's eating up resources.

Even if that isn't the case, run an antivirus scan just to be sure. Malwarebyte's antimalware is also good for malware removal

Looby219

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
This is a sign of a struggling HDD. If the hard drive is not old, but just full, then getting an SSD could be just the answer. You can move the OS and some common programs onto it and give your HDD some needed leeway. They're dirt cheap these days, but I understand if you don't want to spend money, so try a cleaner. I use this:

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Also try removing some unused programs. Another step is to defragment the hard drive. Windows comes with disk defrag. Just search it in the start menu.

If these steps do not solve your problem, there may be malware on the system. Try a MalwareBytes scan.

Are games running slowly too? If they aren't much of an issue it could be that old Pentium not being enough for modern applications. Luckily the LGA 1155 socket has a lot of potential for an upgrade!