PC is suddenly awfully slow.

CorruptGaming

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015
One day i had my pc and it was fine, i shut down the night before and my pc was running as fast as it normally does. Then the following morning i launch my pc and it is unbearably slow, i went from streaming games live to not being able to open google chrome without my pc stalling.
My current specs are:
Intel Core I7 4770
2x 8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance RAM at 1600Mhz
AMD Radeon R9 280

I have bought new RAM and tested that and still no difference has been made, whenever i launch my pc and open task manager it says that 23% of my memory is being used but 23% of 16gb is a lot considering im not running anything.

I have also ran multiple AV scans (MalwareBytes and AVG) and also defragged my hard drive before completely reinstalling windows which has made no difference.
I am honestly lost now as what to do.

Solution
10% isn't a great deal, that is probably just windows... i was just curious if it was a driver leak as that could force PC to use hdd more often since it runs out of resources and has to save thinghs to hdd it would normally leave in ram. Launch won't show that, usage over time would.

you mentioned 23% before, that is close to what i get with just chrome open but you could download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your resources

Private bytes = actual ram usage
Working set...

Colif

Win 11 Master
what brand hard drive is it? most makers have tests you can run to check them out, it might be an idea to do that.
DO you have latest BIOS on motherboard? Have you got latest drivers for motherboard?
Have you tried safe mode to see if it makes any difference - this would just tell us if its a driver issue'

CorruptGaming

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015

I have a seagate ST100DM004 1TB Hard drive aswell as a Samsung 850 SSD PRO 256GB.
I am doing yet another defrag and after that i will use HWinfo to search for both driver and BIOS updates

Colif

Win 11 Master
SSD boot drive? defragging hdd won't speed it up

download and run samsung Magician - its updates drive firmware and is a benchmark: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html - check the SMART page while you there, it will show drive health
download and run seatools for windows: http://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/seatools/

if ssd suddenly slowed I would check motherboard drivers as sata drivers can make a difference.

CorruptGaming

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015

My whole pc is slow, from boot up to typing this message, my windows is installed on my HDD and is fast when launching but any apps i open make it slower.

However, something odd i have just discovered is that my pc tends to run slightly faster when i have HQiNFO64 open which is very peculiar.

CorruptGaming

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015

I ran the tests and nothing out of the strange appeared.
My ssd was added later but i just formatted it which just removed some steam games.
When i launch around 10% of of 16gb of ram is being used but i dont know where from. I have performed a clean boot that has had no effect.

Colif

Win 11 Master
10% isn't a great deal, that is probably just windows... i was just curious if it was a driver leak as that could force PC to use hdd more often since it runs out of resources and has to save thinghs to hdd it would normally leave in ram. Launch won't show that, usage over time would.

you mentioned 23% before, that is close to what i get with just chrome open but you could download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under each service, but unlike task manager, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your resources

Private bytes = actual ram usage
Working set = Ram + page file usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click headers and run an av scan from within the program.

Solution