Question PC is suddenly running games slow

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 15, 2023
When running UBM, I think the "background CPU use" it detects is itself. It's the only thing that's really running.
I'm still getting massive slowdown, and my CPU never spikes during that time, so I doubt it is CPU usage. I'm wondering if my GPU is just dying.

When running UBM, I think the "background CPU use" it detects is itself. It's the only thing that's really running.
I'm still getting massive slowdown, and my CPU never spikes during that time, so I doubt it is CPU usage. I'm wondering if my GPU is just dying.
UBM background does not have to be one item doing it.
It could be a bunch of little stuff that add.
That's why it's best to go through the reboot and wait thing.

What does your cpu and gpu temps look like when gaming?

Apr 15, 2023
UBM background does not have to be one item doing it.
It could be a bunch of little stuff that add.
That's why it's best to go through the reboot and wait thing.

What does your cpu and gpu temps look like when gaming?
Temperatures are normal. GPU is around 90c, CPU is 60c. I don't even have to play for a minute before the slowdowns hit.

Apr 15, 2023
I'm wondering if the game you installed had some sort of DRM and was left behind and crippled your system.
I completely reinstalled Windows, and it seems no matter what drive I run a game on, it runs slowly. I moved Fallen order to my C driver (OS and assorted programs), and it still ran badly.

How would I find that? I've never had any problem with DRM before, but this seemed to happen once I installed and played Wartales.
Should I reinstall Windows again, and repartition my D drive (games) as well?

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I completely reinstalled Windows, and it seems no matter what drive I run a game on, it runs slowly. I moved Fallen order to my C driver (OS and assorted programs), and it still ran badly.

How would I find that? I've never had any problem with DRM before, but this seemed to happen once I installed and played Wartales.
Should I reinstall Windows again, and repartition my D drive (games) as well?
I missed the reinstall part. It would be completely gone if it was a fresh install/complete wipe.

Entirely possible your drive is failing. Alternatively, did you experience any odd whether when your PC was on, flickering lights or anything. In other words power surges or similar that could have affected the PC?

Apr 15, 2023
I missed the reinstall part. It would be completely gone if it was a fresh install/complete wipe.

Entirely possible your drive is failing. Alternatively, did you experience any odd whether when your PC was on, flickering lights or anything. In other words power surges or similar that could have affected the PC?
Both drives at the same time? One is new.
No, but I also got a new power supply, because I thought that might be the issue.

Apr 15, 2023
I have no idea if that is good or bad perhaps post over in the graphics card forum someone may have a thought.
It's just above the recommended operating temperature. Even so, the slowdown happens before it even reaches that temperature, so it probably isn't that.

I think this card is just dying.

Apr 15, 2023
What do the temps look like when your gaming?
I can't play long enough without it slowing down to practically unplayable.

And I just tested Fallout 76 again. It was only running well in the area around my base, which was in a dry lake bed. When I headed for a nearby town, the framerate dropped.