Question PC just died and need to know why

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 30, 2020
I recently upgraded my pc with a ryzen 5 3600 and new ram. Everything worked fine for a couple of days until today while playing fortnite and messing with settings the screen turns off but fans and stuff still spin. I turn off the pc and then turn it back on. Fans spin, leds light up on motherboard and graphics card, but fans dont spin on the graphics card and it doesn't post. The speaker also doesnt make any noise. My power supply is some kind of rose will 500w with no 80+ efficiency rating. I took out the gpu and tried to turn it on and peripherals dont light up and no speaker noise. It's on carpet floor but I have it on concrete blocks so it's not directly on the carpet. I've been monitoring cpu temps and ryzen master says that temps never get above 80 degrees celcius , but I always thought GPU temps were fine because I monitored them before I upgraded my parts but I have been pushing my pc a lot harder since then by doing things like putting settings on max. I'm thinking some kind of power shortage that broke my whole pc or my new cpu is dead. Thanks for any help you can give.
Mobo: Asus tuf b450 plus gaming
Gpu: powercolor red devil rx 590
Old cpu: ryzen 3 1300x
New cpu: ryzen 5 3600
Powersupply: random rosewill 500w
Hdd: wd 2012 1tb
Old ram: 1x8 corsair vengeance 2400mhz
New ram: g.skill ripjaws 2x8 3600mhz c16

Sorry for bad capitalization I'm not on my pc for obvious reasons

4745454b

Titan
You should have posted, not edited, in the old thread that the new PSU didn't fix it. Everyone who posted in the previous thread would see that info and could continue to help. With a new thread you are at the mercy of whoever might see it that there is something wrong. They would then have to get up to speed with the problem. But now we are here. So use this one. You are only to have one thread per issue so don't post in the old one anymore.

because I get no speaker noise and peripherals dont light up when plugged in...everything lights up and it does the exact same thing as with the old power supply

So what does or doesn't light up? I'm confused because you said things don't light up, but then you say everything lights up. Which is it?

I've been monitoring cpu temps and ryzen master says that temps never get above 80 degrees celcius

80C? The max temp might be 95C for the 3600, but I'd never let my CPU go above 70C, 65C if i can help it. Can you put the old CPU back in and see if it works? Perhaps the new CPU died.

Jan 30, 2020
You should have posted, not edited, in the old thread that the new PSU didn't fix it. Everyone who posted in the previous thread would see that info and could continue to help. With a new thread you are at the mercy of whoever might see it that there is something wrong. They would then have to get up to speed with the problem. But now we are here. So use this one. You are only to have one thread per issue so don't post in the old one anymore.

So what does or doesn't light up? I'm confused because you said things don't light up, but then you say everything lights up. Which is it?

80C? The max temp might be 95C for the 3600, but I'd never let my CPU go above 70C, 65C if i can help it. Can you put the old CPU back in and see if it works? Perhaps the new CPU died.
Ok got it. GPU lEd's lights up but fans dont spin. All case fans spin and the ones that have leds light up. CPU cooler spins and when I meant never goes above 80 I mean in intense games it gets up to 75ish (I'm using stock cooler).
I also have a pretty significant update. I tried with no ram installed and I got a long beep followed by two short beeps which asus says either means no ram installed or ram problem. I think it is a ram problem, so I'm going to put in my old ram. If that doesnt work im going to clear the cmos and retry the old ram. Perhaps the xmp gave too much or too little voltage and a cmos clear will fix that. I will update when I get that done.
One more thing.

I tried the old ram, it didnt work. I tried clearing the cmos with the jumper, didnt work. I'm going to try clearing it with the battery and see if that works.

Jan 30, 2020
You remove the ram, get a ram error beep, and think it's a ram issue? Are you trolling us? It's cool you tried the old ram, but please try the old cpu like i suggested. That makes way more sense.
Sorry I was just saying that because I got a ram error beep that means my mobo is not dead because before I wasnt getting any error beeps.
I was going to try the old cpu but when I was taking out the new one the stock fan refused to come off. I already unscrewed it from the back plate but when I finally pulled it out the cpu came with it even though the lever was still down. No pins are bent, but it makes me think if it is possible for the cpu to unseat itself somehow, but I dont know if that's even something that can happen. I have to run to a store today and get thermal paste and then I will try putting the old CPU in. If that works I will try the new one just in case it was seated weirdly or something.

Jan 30, 2020
You remove the ram, get a ram error beep, and think it's a ram issue? Are you trolling us? It's cool you tried the old ram, but please try the old cpu like i suggested. That makes way more sense.
I put the old CPU in with new ram, the pc works fine. Thanks for all of the advice. I'm not trolling I've just been frazzled and I'm kinda stupid. I'm going to try to update the bios again or maybe roll it back to a previous update to see if maybe there is a problem with this bios update with this cpu. I didnt realize that temps can kill a cpu that easily, I always thought it would just shut it off. I'm not sure if it's dead or not, so I'm going to test a bit and see if i can get it to work. If not I'll send it back to amazon for defectivity because there is no bent pins and it is in perfect physical condition, but it is no longer working after only two days.

Reactions: DMAN999

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's really, really hard to kill a cpu that's in use, they do have built in protections for temps, and bios settings will regulate voltages the same as they did/do for the old cpu.

Which makes me wonder, exactly what settings were messed with? The game settings? That should have no bearing on the cpu functionality.

You have a B450. It'll run 1st/2nd Gen right out of the box, or 3rd gen after a bios update. But an update usually means wiping out half of the 1st/2nd Gen bios info, asrock is kind enough to tell you in the bios notes that once you update to a certain bios you can't go backwards.

So how is a 3rd gen cpu working fine, quits, replace with the older 1st gen, which is also working fine.

I could understand mid-game, as the Rx590 (powercolor is especially bad for overpowered cards) can hit @ 250w and spike over 300w, putting a serious squelch on a low ranked 500w questionable psu. But there's nowhere near that load at boot/post.

So a cpu gone bad by itself? Very, very rare. Wondering if there wasn't an underlying cause that made the cpu toast, and if it wasn't in fact the psu as those psus are group regulated old platforms with mediocre - lousy voltage regulation, essentially pretty bad for any modern cpu/gpu.

Reactions: mctrader07
Jan 30, 2020
It's really, really hard to kill a cpu that's in use, they do have built in protections for temps, and bios settings will regulate voltages the same as they did/do for the old cpu.

Which makes me wonder, exactly what settings were messed with? The game settings? That should have no bearing on the cpu functionality.

You have a B450. It'll run 1st/2nd Gen right out of the box, or 3rd gen after a bios update. But an update usually means wiping out half of the 1st/2nd Gen bios info, asrock is kind enough to tell you in the bios notes that once you update to a certain bios you can't go backwards.

So how is a 3rd gen cpu working fine, quits, replace with the older 1st gen, which is also working fine.

I could understand mid-game, as the Rx590 (powercolor is especially bad for overpowered cards) can hit @ 250w and spike over 300w, putting a serious squelch on a low ranked 500w questionable psu. But there's nowhere near that load at boot/post.

So a cpu gone bad by itself? Very, very rare. Wondering if there wasn't an underlying cause that made the cpu toast, and if it wasn't in fact the psu as those psus are group regulated old platforms with mediocre - lousy voltage regulation, essentially pretty bad for any modern cpu/gpu.
I honestly dont know I didnt overclock at all or anything. I'm going to see if I can send it to amazon for defectivity.

4745454b

Titan

I know this is hard to follow, but third gen isn't out yet. Ryzen 1xxx and 2xxx are both first gen Ryzen. There aren't really per core improments between them. They took all the memory tweaks which were needed to get Ryzen 1xxx stable and running correctly and baked them into Ryzen 2xxx. Ryzen 3xxx is Ryzen second gen. 3rd gen is coming later this year. I mention this not to be a jerk but so that we can keep our verbage correct. If people start using the wrong terms it can lead to confusion. Like when I called PCI express PCIx. PCIx exists, and is different from PCIe.

I agree that it's odd that a CPU dies, but it does happen. We know the board is fine as it works with the older chip. And as a 450 board it should handle a 2xxx chip. He even said it was working for awhile with the new chip. Crazy stuff does happen. This must be just one of those times?

Jan 30, 2020
I know this is hard to follow, but third gen isn't out yet. Ryzen 1xxx and 2xxx are both first gen Ryzen. There aren't really per core improments between them. They took all the memory tweaks which were needed to get Ryzen 1xxx stable and running correctly and baked them into Ryzen 2xxx. Ryzen 3xxx is Ryzen second gen. 3rd gen is coming later this year. I mention this not to be a jerk but so that we can keep our verbage correct. If people start using the wrong terms it can lead to confusion. Like when I called PCI express PCIx. PCIx exists, and is different from PCIe.

I agree that it's odd that a CPU dies, but it does happen. We know the board is fine as it works with the older chip. And as a 450 board it should handle a 2xxx chip. He even said it was working for awhile with the new chip. Crazy stuff does happen. This must be just one of those times?
I guess man. As far as I know I did nothing that would kill the cpu. Also i figure if my psu did something to the cpu it would hurt the rest of the pc as well.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's one of the things that makes it so hard to kill a cpu. There's no direct links to power. A spike has to travel through a multitude of other components like resistors, diodes, caps, thermistors, other chipsets, even the cooler physically protects it etc, before it can get to the cpu. It'd be one thing if you dropped the heatsink corner on it, but dying out of nowhere, for no obvious reason, that's astronomically rare. You gotta figure the stuff on the inside is on a nanometer scale, quality control has to be exact, no margin for error. If one key is off as much as 1 nanometer, the whole thing is bunk.

So while I can agree that s. it happens, I'm also of a mind that it usually happens for a reason. Ppl don't get struck by lightning on a cloudless sunny day, there's always a weather front full of turbulent clouds nearby.

So my concern is when the 3600 is replaced, will it get snocked too, is it just a failed bios that's missing some info, a bad amperage setting in the boost which wouldn't affect 1000 series since they don't use PBO as such, or simply as said, the one in a Gazillion bad apple.

Jan 30, 2020
That's one of the things that makes it so hard to kill a cpu. There's no direct links to power. A spike has to travel through a multitude of other components like resistors, diodes, caps, isotherms, other chipsets, even the cooler physically protects it etc, before it can get to the cpu. It'd be one thing if you dropped the heatsink corner on it, but dying out of nowhere, for no obvious reason, that's astronomically rare. You gotta figure the stuff on the inside is on a nanometer scale, quality control has to be exact, no margin for error. If one key is off as much as 1 nanometer, the whole thing is bunk.

So while I can agree that s. it happens, I'm also of a mind that it usually happens for a reason. Ppl don't get struck by lightning on a cloudless sunny day, there's always a weather front full of turbulent clouds nearby.

So my concern is when the 3600 is replaced, will it get snocked too, is it just a failed bios that's missing some info, a bad amperage setting in the boost which wouldn't affect 1000 series since they don't use PBO as such, or simply as said, the one in a Gazillion bad apple.
I'm not sure. I have the bios updated to the highest available version. I can downgrade it to the one before to see if that will repair the bios or something. I really didn't do anything that would kill it as far as I know. Also, when you asked earlier, yes, I was just changing in game settings when it stopped working. I'm not sure how that would happen. My guess is that while it was a functioning CPU, one thing wasn't functioning correctly and caused it to die.

Jan 30, 2020
Alright update from a week later. I got a replacement cpu and that one doesnt work either. I tried downgrading the bios by one update and still nothing. Something is causing my cpu and my motherboard not to be compatible even though it worked for 2 days. Normally there is always one more thing I can try. In this case im stumped. Please help, I have no idea what to do.

4745454b

Titan
So it runs your Ryzen 1xxx ok, but won't run a 3600? It really sounds like a bios issue. I'm not sure if it could be a PSU issue instead. Random Rosewill PSU doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Though I don't know of any power difference between Ryzen 1xxx and 3xxx.

B450 board ran a Ryzen 1xxx just fine. You popped a 3600 and it ran for a couple days then stopped working. Put the 1xxx back in and it worked again so we assumed bad CPU. You got a replacement 3600 which also failed. That about sum it up? Which bios are you running? 12xx or 16xx? Does the 1xxx CPU still work? Can you borrow a different/better PSU to test with?

Jan 30, 2020
So it runs your Ryzen 1xxx ok, but won't run a 3600? It really sounds like a bios issue. I'm not sure if it could be a PSU issue instead. Random Rosewill PSU doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Though I don't know of any power difference between Ryzen 1xxx and 3xxx.

B450 board ran a Ryzen 1xxx just fine. You popped a 3600 and it ran for a couple days then stopped working. Put the 1xxx back in and it worked again so we assumed bad CPU. You got a replacement 3600 which also failed. That about sum it up? Which bios are you running? 12xx or 16xx? Does the 1xxx CPU still work? Can you borrow a different/better PSU to test with?
I dont know if I said this, but the first thing I did was upgrade to a corsair rm650x. I'm going to try flashing the bios back to the first available update, then updating it back up to the first version that supports the r5 3600 ( I believe it's like version 1207 or something) then putting the r5 back in. If that doesnt work my next idea is ordering an msi b450 tomahawk max so I dont have to worry about bios again lmao. I'm not sure what you mean by bios version 12xx or 16xx.

4745454b

Titan
12xx = 1207. Or 1201. Which is the first bios to support the 3600. I didn't stop to look at all the different bios options.

If it didn't work with 1207 you could try 1201. I'm not sure why 1207 didn't work. It should have. You shouldn't have to flash the bios this much. But this is one reason why I suggest people to just get the board that you know should work. B550, or x570. Those run the Ryzen 3xxx chips right out of the box. 100% for sure. And you won't have to worry about Ryzen 3 support when those come out later this year.

Jan 30, 2020
12xx = 1207. Or 1201. Which is the first bios to support the 3600. I didn't stop to look at all the different bios options.

If it didn't work with 1207 you could try 1201. I'm not sure why 1207 didn't work. It should have. You shouldn't have to flash the bios this much. But this is one reason why I suggest people to just get the board that you know should work. B550, or x570. Those run the Ryzen 3xxx chips right out of the box. 100% for sure. And you won't have to worry about Ryzen 3 support when those come out later this year.
Yeah but it's a bit to expensive for me. I was thinking of the tomahawk max so I wouldn't have to worry about bios

Jan 30, 2020
Alright, its been a while but ive finally done it. It wouldnt let me update it to the original bios, it only let me go down to version 1201. Tried the cpu and no dice. Sorry its been a while, i've been doing stuff on my pc so i didnt get around to it until now.

Jan 30, 2020
Have you ever got the 3600 to work? You said it worked for a bit when you first got it then it failed. I'm wondering if it burnt something in the board. I'm not sure what it would be. But you might need to avoid 3xxx chips.
Yeah I think it's time for a new motherboard lol. I'm considering the tomahawk max but nothing is in stock right now.
Thanks for all of the help.