Question PC Keeps crashing and gets stuck in BIOS

Jun 6, 2019
For the past 12 hours, after moving my components into a new case, my PC has been crashing every 5 to 20 minutes. When it crashes there is a blue screen that says "your PC ran into a problem", but the screen turns black too quickly to read the rest of it. When it restarts, it will get stuck at my motherboard's bios. I have tried to repair windows using a USB stick, but it does not detect any problems. I am able to get it to boot again by unplugging my power supply and plugging it back in, but it still crashes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:

Cpu: i7 7700k
Motherboard: msi z170a m5 gaming
Ram: 4x 8gb 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Gpu: Evga 1080 ti icx
SSD: nvme m.2 Samsung 850 evo
Power supply: corsair 550w

santhoshraj17

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017
It sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Go back into the case, make sure all the cables are plugged in correctly, reset your cards. memory and CPU. What is your motherboard, GPU, PSU and RAM. Did your new case come with a new PSU? because it could also be a failing PSU.
it might be a PSU problem. cause even i faced similar issues when i upgraded my pc except the psu. then i found out it was failing and switched it over and my pc ran fine. do swap over your old psu and check if the problem persists incase you bought a new psu. else try swapping the old one if you havent bought a new. before doing all this do check all the connectors from the psu are slotted into the mobo properly..

pkincy

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
First fix before buying anything is to take the time to take it apart and again reassemble the internals into the new case. A bit of work but the least and most likely solution. Also you can order a PSU tester for less than $20, to test your PSU. If you build your own rigs you need one anyway. Get that done. Than test the PSU. However most likely is a missed connection or a bare wire shorting to the case.

Reactions: Doofles
Jun 6, 2019
I haven't found any loose connections. I will check again though. I disabled automatic restart and I can now read the error message. It says "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED". Also, before it crashes, almost 30 different "windows problem reporting" process appear and the disk usage goes to 100% for 30 seconds before it crashes.

Jun 6, 2019
Open an Administrative command prompt and run chkdsk followed by sfc scannow. Check ssd, RAM and GPU are completely plug in. Also do a RAM test, best to use memtest86 https://www.memtest86.com/ You should also do a clean install of your graphics card driver https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

I ran chkdsk and sfc /scannow. When I ran chkdsk it said windows found no problems but when I ran sfc /scannow it said it found corrupted files and fixed them. It did not resolve the problem though. The PC still crashes every 30-40 minutes. I have just performed a clean install of my graphics driver and began Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool. It got to around 92% with no problems found, then the PC crashed and the screen went black.

Jun 6, 2019
Jun 6, 2019
Why didn't you go higher, like 750W, which will give more headroom.

The PSU was not the problem. I just installed a brand new Corsair vengeance 650W PSU and the problem still persists. I almost always get the windows report "problem event name: livekernelevent code: 144 parameter 1: 3003". Any suggestions?

The error is related to your graphics device. Are you doing any overclocking? Check MB BIOS, most current is v1i howerer v1f shows improved stability with Windows upgrades. Also make sure you have the most up to date graphics driver. If everything is up to date, you might start thinking about a defective graphics board or MB.

Jun 6, 2019
The error is related to your graphics device. Are you doing any overclocking? Check MB BIOS, most current is v1i howerer v1f shows improved stability with Windows upgrades. Also make sure you have the most up to date graphics driver. If everything is up to date, you might start thinking about a defective graphics board or MB.

I have not done any overclocking and I have the most recent driver from nvidia. Where in the bios would I check v1i/v1f?

Jun 6, 2019
Not really, it's usually judged by the inoperablility. As far as the bios ver, you can either enter the BIOS and you should find it on the upper right area, or type "wmic bios get biosversion" at a coomand prompt... To open this tool, Run msinfo32 and hit Enter

Both command prompt and system information display the bios version as "American Megatrends Inc. 1.G0, 12/7/2017".

I don't see anything in the next two BIOS updates (1.H or 1.I) that would aid with your problem. Have you been keeping an eye on the PC temperatures? One issue that is probably nothing is you describing your SSD m.2 Samsung 850 evo as nvme; it is not. The Samsung 850 evo is NAND, which a sata. If you have enabled any UEFI modes in your BIOS, that could cause a problem. Mode s/b ACHI and Boot mode should be legacy + UEFI and ▶M2_1/ M2_2-RST Pcie Storage Remapping should be [Disabled] . I say it's probably nothing, because I don't think your ssd would boot is set up wrong.

The Samsung 850 evo V-Nand has shown to be unstable at times. Samsung has a downloadable utility that is reported to help.
https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

There have been some issues with your board, I found this. It's 3 years old, but so is your GPU..
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/50rh24/gtx_10801000_evga_info_for_those_experiencing/

Jun 6, 2019
I don't see anything in the next two BIOS updates (1.H or 1.I) that would aid with your problem. Have you been keeping an eye on the PC temperatures? One issue that is probably nothing is you describing your SSD m.2 Samsung 850 evo as nvme; it is not. The Samsung 850 evo is NAND, which a sata. If you have enabled any UEFI modes in your BIOS, that could cause a problem. Mode s/b ACHI and Boot mode should be legacy + UEFI and ▶M2_1/ M2_2-RST Pcie Storage Remapping should be [Disabled] . I say it's probably nothing, because I don't think your ssd would boot is set up wrong.

The Samsung 850 evo V-Nand has shown to be unstable at times. Samsung has a downloadable utility that is reported to help.
https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

There have been some issues with your board, I found this. It's 3 years old, but so is your GPU..
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/50rh24/gtx_10801000_evga_info_for_those_experiencing/

My mistake. I don't have an 850. I have a 960 evo. I am going to replace my MB first before I try to rma my GPU.

TRENDING THREADS