[SOLVED] PC keeps crashing even when under light pressure

Feb 29, 2020
I'm having trouble with my pc, and have had for quite a while. It keeps crashing even tho the things I do or the games I play aren't very heavy. For example even when I play League of Legends it's almost a certainty that my computer will freeze at one point (meaning that I can't move my mouse, use my keyboard or hear any sound) and I have to restart everything, which was not a problem when I got it in 2018. Last spring I upgraded to more ram if that would've been the problem and it did work for a while, but for a few months now I never know if or when my pc will crash. To really put it out there: it once crashed for no apparent reason when I was in a discord call with maybe one tab of crome running.
Me and my bf have tried to figure out what could be the problem and he thinks it is because the cpu spikes to the extreme sometimes, that is up to 80%/95% for launching a program or game.

My specs are:
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics 3.7 GHz
Gigabyte AB350 M GA-Z77-DS3H (REV 1.1) (D), GA AB350 M GA-Z77-DS3H
Zotac P10510B 10L GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB
2x 8 GB DDR4 3200 mHz
2x 4 GB DDr4 2400 mHz

Earlier today I tried removing the old ram i had (2x 4 GB DDr4 2400 mHz) but that didn't help either.
I'm thankfull for any help I can get.

Solution
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. F1, 12-01-2018
Still on this bios? Is probably the first they shipped with,i would update bios first. With this motherboard that means a few steps,first update to F31,after that to F40 and only after that to the latest one. Read further before just doing this!

For the several bios files,
GA-AB350M-DS3H (rev. 1.x) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers installed before doing this. Hope that will work without crashing.
for chipsetdrivers,
B350 Drivers & Support | AMD

So first update the chipset drivers,then update to F31, ,then update bios to F40 and only after that update to the latest bios.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
ok i thought the problem started after you added the new ram. you could give it a try and see what happens.
Any other psu to try with? its possible psu can cause this. Also try removing the graphics card and run it just with the built in graphics and see what happens.

Feb 29, 2020
ok i thought the problem started after you added the new ram. you could give it a try and see what happens.
Any other psu to try with? its possible psu can cause this. Also try removing the graphics card and run it just with the built in graphics and see what happens.
No unfortunatley I don't own another psu. When removing the gpu should I also try to switch the ram-sticks at the same time or do it separatley? Is there a way to test what could be the problem after the gpu removal, since I can't know for certain that the pc will crash?

Feb 29, 2020
first try with the ram . if no change remove the graphics card and try running it with the built in graphics. try start agame and see what happens.
So far so good, after changing the ram nothing improved so I changed back when I removed the gpu and I haven't had any problems!
Is there a way to fix the gpu so that I can use it or do I have to by a new one?

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
seems like the gpu is the problem. Probably something is wrong with the gpu . have you checked temperatures on it? has it been loud? any Visual defects? my guess is that the card is bad. you could try reseating it and see what happens. if the card is bad i would get a radeon rx 570 its alot better than 1050 ti and cheaper.

Feb 29, 2020
seems like the gpu is the problem. Probably something is wrong with the gpu . have you checked temperatures on it? has it been loud? any Visual defects? my guess is that the card is bad. you could try reseating it and see what happens. if the card is bad i would get a radeon rx 570 its alot better than 1050 ti and cheaper.
After reseting the gpu it hasen't crashed anymore so far, but I'm a bit supiscious about the temperature of it because it showes a max temp of only 40 degrees, 34 when I don't run anything. Is this normal?

Feb 29, 2020
what the cpu/gpu temp and usage during load?
The highest temperatures I got today while playing LoL, that isn't that demanding, was 73 degrees on the cpu and 40 on the gpu. If I'm not mistaken the usage seem to have been 100% cpu and 96% gpu.
I've had the CPUID HWMonitor up all day to see what data it would collect, and that's from where those numbers are.

Feb 29, 2020
Okay, I tried resetting the gpu but that didn't work so I contacted whom I had bought it from from Amazon.de and they answered that the time period for returning it had expired and that I should contact the manufacturer. Since I knew that will take a while I removed it from my computer and it has worked fine since, but just now it completle froze, as it did before, when I were only watching Youtube. The only other program I ran was Discord so I can't really understand what could have caused the pc to crash?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. F1, 12-01-2018
Still on this bios? Is probably the first they shipped with,i would update bios first. With this motherboard that means a few steps,first update to F31,after that to F40 and only after that to the latest one. Read further before just doing this!

For the several bios files,
GA-AB350M-DS3H (rev. 1.x) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Make sure you have the latest chipset drivers installed before doing this. Hope that will work without crashing.
for chipsetdrivers,
B350 Drivers & Support | AMD

So first update the chipset drivers,then update to F31, ,then update bios to F40 and only after that update to the latest bios.

Solution
Feb 29, 2020
I have updated everything and so far the pc has worked just fine! I hope that was the problem but if the pc starts freezing again I'll keep updating to try and fix it. I'm very greatful for all the help I've got this far! :giggle: